Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellows
How long does the spawn usually last on the Pamunkey and the Mattaponi?
FAW

·
Registered
39 Posts
give it about 4 weeks, depends on water temp, they are shallow rivers so they warm up earlyer than the james, I don't have a guide trip booked till the second week of july, I think it's not worth wile going out till then.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It sounds like the bite is on already on the Pamunkey. I heard Josh had a 3 fish stringer of 112lbs during a tournament on that river this past weekend. And that was for second place. Somebody else had a bigger 3 fish weight. That is some awesome weights! give us the details Josh.

as far as the James. some fish are starting to be caught. June is always spotty til the end of the month but you can still have some really good days on occassion. I'm guessing this year will just be a mirror image of the last two years. I'm sure we will start seeing more and more citation size fish in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saturday of the holiday weekend we caught some nice cats on mattaponi. monday nuthin , biggest was 8lbs took 8 fish home that saturday good eatin too
FAW

·
Registered
887 Posts
Blue cats were stocked in the Mattaponi River. Those found on the Pamunkey are immigrants from the Mattaponi. The cats are generally larger on the matt. than the pam.and the water is much cleaner on the matt than the pam. Fish can be eaten on the matt. while much of the pam. has a fish eating advisory in effect for PCB and Mercury contamination. Also, there is very limited public access to the pam. At least from my experience.

Overall, the James and Chick. has an older and more substantial population of blue catfish. Although the fish are not supposed to be eaten, you can not beat the James for catfishing if you are strictly looking to catch larger fish. I firmly believe that there are fish on the James River 100 pounds or better. It is just a matter of putting in the time to catch them.

As for the spawn. It is kind of nice to take a break. In a way it is like Sundays during hunting season. A mandatory break.

Tight lines and clickers set, Kepone

·
Registered
556 Posts
yes. they are larger on the mattaponi....everyone keep fishing that river. there is nothing to look at on the Pamunkey. just keep driving.[grin] and all of the big fish are caught in the Dutch Gap area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, GTB, you tell them, there are no fish in the pam. and don't go anywhere else than dutch gap, about 1/2 mile each direction.[grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I was trying to get some idea of how the spawn is going here on the James yesterday. I cut open some of the fish I caught, but I can't make heads or tails of all the inner stuff. Can anyone tell from this pic is the fish has spawned out or not?

After trying this on 6-7 decents size fish, I gave up and just put them back before heading home.

I guess we will just have to wait. Or I can post the rest of the pics if it will help.

Dayton

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Just me being stupid, Kepone. Don't have a cow. Or course, I did poach some fish from the field by your house![wink] Don't Glock me.

Dayton

1 - 17 of 17 Posts