Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always enjoyed a trip or two each year to catch a mess of eating size catfish from around the Tappahannock bridge. I think they are White Catfish. Simple squid strips always seem to the ticket for 1 to 3 lb. fish. I catch far bigger ones on the James but of course don't eat them but am wondering if bigger cats are available in the immediate vacinity of the Tapp bridge. Or if channels or flatheads are available too - we never, ever seem to catch any of those although the old timers tell us they were thick in that area years ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Still lots of whites and a few channel cats in that area in that size range, with an occasional 5 pounder. Squid or crab will work. Action should turn on in a month, or so. And VERY good eating.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tell ya' what. Do not eat anything out of the Cat Point Creek. I say this because I caught tons of cats out of there and they had bumps and sores on them. Caught them all on a crankbait! Nothing live as cats like weird stuff. We ventured all the way to the bridge in the back of the creek also and they were all up in there. Nice catching them with slime and all but scary to see that the HEALTH of them might be a problem.

I have pulled cats out of the James all the way up to Cartersville and further up but in all my years of catching cats I have not seen sores on them.

Maybe this is a common thing around those parts or just that part of the creek? Maybe someone can share something with me about that Creek. Tried the Bass fishing in that creek also, nothing just cats. Now the creek in Tapp at the public boat landing, if you go back a little ways...good bass fishing.

'Andrea

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have caught channel cats up the creek at the public ramp. I forgot about that. They were around that grain silo place. Not many although I seem to mark a lot.

How far can I navigate up cat point creek coming in from the river? I have a somewhat shallow draft boat. I only need to go far enough up to try some of the catfishing. I have actually heard they are a little bigger up there than what I will find around the bridge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, a shallow draft boat can go all the way back there. I usually take the kayak but last time we shot across the Tapp public landing to it in a Bass Boat. JUST REMEMBER WHEN IN THE CREEK TO STAY TO THE "LEFT" SIDE ALL THE WAY BACK. Do not think that the creek circles like the map says. The creek opens up back there and you think you go straight but NO, go left.

Big cats under the back bridge and I do not have my map with me to tell you that road. As any normal creek would have "drop offs" along the edges for the Bass but cats down there. Don't noodle because I think I marked it in a lot of places being 9-12 ft. Check the tides. I got them in the out. A lot of older homes back there with sewage run offs. I did notice that the 4-8lb'ers had a lot more slime then usual. Maybe that part is healthy???? But back near the bridge and along the sides of the clay walls in the creeks are holes. I swear I fell in one trying to get out of the yak to do my business. Scary!

Later,
'Andrea Nunnally

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try Piscattaway creek just down river on the west bank, ring perch will kick off soon, catfish and largemouth bass upcreek. By upcreek I mean above the bridge on 17, you can launch there. Throw 1/4 ounce red manns jig heads with mister twister white curley tail grubs. The bass like an electric grape culprit on a slip sinker. Look for a duck blind at the mouth of a small creek on the right. You will know it when you see it, in summer don't bump it--bees and an occassional water snake live there.
Mel
Catchone
[wink]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts