Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to catch catfish off the beach up around Guilford Heights, that has been close to ten years ago. Now that striper season has over in the bay I was thinking about trying to catch some catfish in the James. Now I am not asking for anyones secret spot or anything, just some general help in getting started again. The only net I have is a smaller cast net. Looking for a place to possibly buy what ever live bait is needed and some general technique tips. Would love to catch a few of those huge ones but would eaisly settle for filling the cooler up with eathing size fish. I will post a report with pics each time I can go....that is what I have to give in thanks.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you have a boat?

If you don't mind catching the smaller ones (the river is overloaded with them), bring you some livers and setup pretty much anywhere and have at it. You can throw your small net off the Deep Bottom floating dock and get a bunch of small shad to use as well, and you can fish from the floating dock.

If you want big bait for larger fish, give Neil Renouf a call, he can get fresh bait for you. Might also try some eels from any of the local bait shops. With just a small castnet and no idea where to throw, you could lose alot of fishing time trying to find the cutters yourself.

I guess a good start for fishing spots is trying any visible structure....fallen trees, pilings, wing dams, things of that nature. They all hold fish. Use your depth finder and look for drop-offs as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have a boat. Thanks for the advice. Is there anywhere you can get live shad like what is netted? Fish the eels live or cut? Also I assume all would be fished on the bottom? And is day better than night? I agree, I do not want to spend half of my fishing time looking for bait. Also what area of the river is best to go to? I am coming from Franklin so almost anywhere I go is an hour minimum. Would you try near Claremont or up around Jordan Point? I know I have lots of questions....thanks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
At the hot water outflow just upstream from the Dutch gap ramp/VA power plant you can get all the little gizzards you could hope for in one cast. Watch the bank, you'll see the pipes and water flow. I pesonally don't like Jordan pt's ramp and use Hopewell, Deep Bottom or Rarely Dutch gap. Hopewell ramp is around 8 miles or so down from Dutch gap off rt 10.. Deep bottom is a very short distance up from Dutch gap off rt 5. Good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
At the hot water outflow just upstream from the Dutch gap ramp/VA power plant you can get all the little gizzards you could hope for in one cast. Watch the bank, you'll see the pipes and water flow. I pesonally don't like Jordan pt's ramp and use Hopewell, Deep Bottom or Rarely Dutch gap. Hopewell ramp is around 8 miles or so down from Dutch gap off rt 10.. Deep bottom is a very short distance up from Dutch gap off rt 5. Good luck.
I find that those small gizzards tend to lessen in Jan and February, in the spot which you are referring. Incidentally, I've caught some hog catfish on those small baits.

Is it Just me, or does it seem like the overall catfishing is slow this winter. This board is usually much more active by now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bait and catfishing

It took four setting of the gill net Sunday but on number four I had 24 big Gizzards in the net before I could get the net all the way out. The line was dancing in my hand. I caught one or two shad with each set of the net. During the 20 minute soak times between checking, I fished a handful of rods pretty much beside where I had set my net. While waiting on the gill net, we caught three cats 17-24 pounds, lost a monster striper, lost a 40 pound cat at the side of the boat. When I hit the mother load on shad, I tried a few spots including one where we pulled in three near 50 pounders and six juniors in the 20's. One of my best days ever. In regards to small shad, threadfins I think they are, I have never seen so many gulls working the schools that went for miles. My sonar was marking bait from top to bottom for literally miles of river. A buddy fishing in another boat throwing his cast net had two throws where he could hardly lift the net out of the water , it was so full of little finger size shad.

Watch the weather if launching from down around Hopewell. The river can turn mighty ugly with the wrong wind. About got my brother and me a few years ago in February. I usually fish from Dutch Gap to Hopewell.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This will be my first trip to the upper James, where do you put in? I am coming from the south side of the river. If my radio is not acting up I will be on 68 as well "Sickday"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.