Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the Freshwater board but it is kinda dead. I was hoping someone on hear could give me some advice

I'm taken the boat out of Dutch Gap for the day and want to fish for some blue cats.
This time of year should I be looking for deeper water or edges or flats?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jamie.
I tend not to eat anything out of the James, especially near the "Kepone capital" of Hopewell. I'm heading out around noon and I'll post results tonight.
Thanks, Hans

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can catfish year round on the James. I usually put in at Deep Bottom and fish around there. Last night, I landed a 33 pound catfish.

Join the Katmasters forum. katmasters.com lots of good info. my username is Jamesrivercatchaser. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
jamie is the resident expert. (i.e. definition ex-spert " retired spert") i taught him everything he knows! oh wait til he see's this!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The best advice is to look for possible stucture along channel edges using your depth finder. The fish lay behind old trees and such waiting for bait to get to them and then fan your baits behund the boat on the struture some could be shallow and some deep. USe plenty of weight (6-12 oz) Sometimes you can see the fish in the stucture also look and notice where other boats are set up these could be good spots.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
BLUE CRABS killed all the BLUE CATFISH........I will chase CRAPPIE the rest of the year

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Report- catfishing around Dutch Gap

I went from Dutch Gap to the outside of the bend at Deep Bottom. I set up in front of a log in about 18 feet of water (50°). Some bait deeper in 28 feet and some very shallow in about 6 Feet. Not even a nibble. The wind was coming right down the river and it pushed the boat around in a wide sweeping ark. First lesson learned, bring 2 anchors to keep the boat from swinging.

Went looking for more structure and found some "wing dams" just below the Enon Bridge. This structure was protected by the land and trees so the wind was not a factor. Put the spread out again and waited. After about 20 minutes I get my first run. I'm using circle hooks so I did set the hook, I just started to reel. I feel a couple good tugs and then she's gone. Re-bait and back in the same spot. 10 minutes later I get my second run and it is on the same rod. Again, I feel a couple good tugs and then she's gone. Re-bait and back into the same hole. 15 minutes later another run, you guessed it, same rod. This time I let her have the bait for a good 10 second count. I start to reel and then I feel I tremendous PULL. Sweet, this one has got to be big. I reel some line in then she takes some line back and then BAM, she's gone again. I didn't want to leave defeated so I let the re-bait all rods and put all 4 rods in the same "productive" hole and let them soaked another 20 minutes without another run.

By now it's 4:20 so it's time to head for the ramp. Nice day on the water and the ETec ran like a dream. Ready for some eeling at the CBBT as soon as the fish arrive in mass.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts