Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met Ted, Night Nurse at the rampand we went up the Potomac catfishing. Virgil Poe is fishing next to me. We can't fit another fish in the cooler. Big ones go back. Beautiful and fun day.............. Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We ended up with 52 fish. Ted took a cooler full, I kept three and I gave the rest to Sonny White at the wharf. My boat is a bloody slimey mess but it sure was fun............ Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those blue cats are starting to take over the Susqy too now. I figured it would be the flatheads, but doesn't seem that way.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I don't fish for catfish any more. When I was a kid that was the only thing around the rivers I lived near to fish for until I was old enough to buy my own car to get around. BUT,I'll have to admit, that's the best dam haul of Big Hook N line Catfish I've ever seen. If they get that big and plentiful up the Susqy, I just might have guide for them. They're sure easy and relaxing enough to fish for.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't fish for catfish any more. When I was a kid that was the only thing around the rivers I lived near to fish for until I was old enough to buy my own car to get around. BUT,I'll have to admit, that's the best dam haul of Big Hook N line Catfish I've ever seen. If they get that big and plentiful up the Susqy, I just might have guide for them. They're sure easy and relaxing enough to fish for.
Nick, Not only was the cooler full but so was the whole back of the boat. I gave about 150 pounds to Sonny that owns the Wharf in DC. EVERY catfish taken out of the water helps...... Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I'll have to try for them later in the year, after Shad, Smallmouth and Stripers. What size hooks do you like for the Blues/

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to try for them later in the year, after Shad, Smallmouth and Stripers. What size hooks do you like for the Blues/

I use an 8/0 circle hook with a 36" 50 # mono leader with a swivel, fish finder rig to 40# braid. Hooking up to a 70# cat against the current is an epic battle. They are powerful fish......... Gary

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Nice haul Gary. This is the best time of the year up there

Capt Nick

There are plenty enough to guide for in the Susky. Go out now, get some Gizzard shad at the dam base and get on with it. They were even catching blues at the RR bridge in the winter as well off Port Deposit.

Nothing huge, but some definite 20+ in there. For many people that’s big and I’m sure there is an occasional 30 to be found.

Live line a bluegill or two and you might find a jumbo flathead which is excellent table fare.

I’ll be making a Flathead trip tmrw and to get some shad for a DC trip Sat.

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts