Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for the first time Wednesday, my fishing sidekick and I hit the York out of West Point. We kept getting small ones right below the bridge (Pamunkey) so moved down to Bell's and nothing. Headed further downriver and saw action on the ff. Stopped almost mid-river in 25 ft + - and loaded up on some real rod benders. We Cleaned 45 yesterday morning, just finished supper. Yummy Yummy. Probably be back on the York next week but going out at Glous. Pt this trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would definitely have to be Croaker. They have been plentiful in the York this year. I have the most luck for the big ones up to 13-14" in deeper water, especially in the deeper holes to 30'. Easy to fill a cooler with the smaller ones. Squid has been a good bait, but bring some shrimp also. Some days they will only go for the shrimp.

I've landed a few nice Blue Cats in the 20-24" range recently. Some near Bell's Rock and some at high tide around the docks. Mostly on cut bait, but one of them on my Croaker rig with squid. Their bellies were full of clams and mussels, so that might be a good bait if you want to target cats.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
It would definitely have to be Croaker. They have been plentiful in the York this year. I have the most luck for the big ones up to 13-14" in deeper water, especially in the deeper holes to 30'. Easy to fill a cooler with the smaller ones. Squid has been a good bait, but bring some shrimp also. Some days they will only go for the shrimp.

I've landed a few nice Blue Cats in the 20-24" range recently. Some near Bell's Rock and some at high tide around the docks. Mostly on cut bait, but one of them on my Croaker rig with squid. Their bellies were full of clams and mussels, so that might be a good bait if you want to target cats.
Good post for first one! Pic's? :thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Croakers folk,croakers with 4 wayward cats mixed in. They went back. Up near the Pamunkey Bridge they hit bloodworms best. I remember an older gentleman told me many years ago "West Point croaker like bloodworms" even a gent I saw at the ramp Wednesday said the same. Those larger ones caught down river were tearing up squid. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got out for the first time Wednesday, my fishing sidekick and I hit the York out of West Point. We kept getting small ones right below the bridge (Pamunkey) so moved down to Bell's and nothing. Headed further downriver and saw action on the ff. Stopped almost mid-river in 25 ft + - and loaded up on some real rod benders. We Cleaned 45 yesterday morning, just finished supper. Yummy Yummy. Probably be back on the York next week but going out at Glous. Pt this trip.
what is the ff?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
"what is the FF?"

I spent a while the other day, looking for "the Circle" on my charts- after reading a post.

LOL, Took me a while but figured out, he meant- that he had made a circular " visit" to the bay that day, stopping at several locations along the Way. ( not that he fished an area called the circle)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Initials in reporting really brings on the questions. Here is another way of saying the same thing. "Caught small ones below PB, moved down to BR, nothing. Went further down almost to the SP just even with AP radar in 25 ft near mid-river. Just having fun guys, hope ya'll have good weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Launched today at Croaker landing and put over 100 fish in the boat by myself in about 4 hours. Most over 10", many of them around 12" and a few 13-14". The bigger ones were also nice and fat.

Between 25-30 FOW from 10-2 on an outgoing tide on squid. Had a bit of luck on clam flavored fish bites, but only after they soaked for 10-15 minutes.

croaker.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To the nice person that IM'ed me and complimented my photography skill, thank you. This is the world famous Bell's Rock down stream from West Point in the York. On a side note, this tower is perfectly camouflaged against it's shoreline backdrop, you can hardly see it until you are almost to it. Check it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts