Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Cape Henry today from 930 until fog rolled in around 1330. Visability was under 10 yds on way back to Lynnhaven. Worst Ive been caught in, Im sure glad I marked the entrance to lynnhaven on my GPS. The 5 mile trip in seemed to take hours. I hope the boats I saw leaving Lynnhaven turned around.
Still a good trip, Caught 5 and had several knockdowns. All fish in 35 to38" range. ALL caught and knockdowns were on red/white streach 25 and ALL caught trolling south in 40 to 50' of water in area from green can to Ramada.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fish could see plenty well today! Heard about the fog as i was heading out of rudee a little after 2 but still ran for the cape. Lines in and 15 min later a 42". Reset the lines and not enough time to get a drink and a 40". Was fishing by myself so that was it for me and headed back home just as the sprinkles started

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fog sucks. Especially with all the other idiots out there. They darn near hit you when the sun is shining, God only knows what'll happen when the fog sets in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dad was fishing north today, had pete from petes top shop onboard and weighed what I think he said to be a 68lber at sunset fishing center. pete was the angler.

·
Registered
485 Posts
gps is a great thing. used to run when I saw it coming in. still have to watch for the other boats. spooky.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We headed out of taylors landing right when the fog set in followed the gps and went very very slow to cape henry. It was worth it we caught our limit fish from 38-42 in about an hour in the fog. All caught on tandem rigs. There were 3 of us so we got 6 beauties. Made up for the skunk on saturday. We released 8 more fish between 30-36. The fog lifted and we headed home as the winde began to come up and the temperature dropped. I fish all the time but my dad got his biggest striper today with a 41 incher and mom was in there too with a nice 39. Weighed the fish when we got home they ranged from 18-25 pounds. Great day with the folks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You guys are living on a thin line fishing in the fog with 10 yrds visability without radar.

Radar systems are affordable these days.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
"We headed out of taylors landing right when the fog set in followed the gps and went very very slow to cape henry. It was worth it we caught our limit..."

So, let me get this right... you left as the fog set IN... and felt it was worth it because you caught your limit of Rockfish?!?!

Yeah, I've been caught in it, but I'll gurantee you I won't head OUT into it... not for two rockfish.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
"We headed out of taylors landing right when the fog set in followed the gps and went very very slow to cape henry. It was worth it we caught our limit..."

So, let me get this right... you left as the fog set IN... and felt it was worth it because you caught your limit of Rockfish?!?!

Yeah, I've been caught in it, but I'll gurantee you I won't head OUT into it... not for two rockfish.
I'm with you, Al.

I have radar, and I know how to use it. It's on the boat to get us back in safely when the visibility UNEXPECTEDLY gets reduced by fog or rain. Not there so we can head out in poor visibility.

Brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was so thick that I didnt see Lesner bridge utill I was on top of it. I stoped fishing as soon as I saw it. The winds shifted from WNW to N and it rolled in fast. I left quick because I was solo w/ only gps, I wanted to be in front of fleet trying to get back in!! If I didnt have first set of markers on gps Im sure I would have run aground. Dont pray alot, but beleive me I was talking to the man on the way in. Visability wasnt bad once inside Lynnhaven, like I said I just hope those 3 or 4 boats I saw going out turned around so others could make it in safely!!

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
It was so thick that I didnt see Lesner bridge utill I was on top of it. I stoped fishing as soon as I saw it. The winds shifted from WNW to N and it rolled in fast. I left quick because I was solo w/ only gps, I wanted to be in front of fleet trying to get back in!! If I didnt have first set of markers on gps Im sure I would have run aground. Dont pray alot, but beleive me I was talking to the man on the way in. Visability wasnt bad once inside Lynnhaven, like I said I just hope those 3 or 4 boats I saw going out turned around so others could make it in safely!!
I remember how fast it rolled in. I was out on my balcony watching it start to come in. Just seemed to be creeping along at the time.

I went inside for not more than 5 minutes or so and when I went back out I could not see the Bay at all. It was like it appeared from nowhere.

Dennis

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dont know much about fog, any insight or good reads would be appriciated. The weather service rarley calls it right.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Well, there are a couple of things to think about.

Water temp vs. Air temp. Either in Spring or Winter.

When there is a large gap from one to the other and you have stalled or slow moving warm fronts (which usually mean little to no wind) fog is a possibility. The sun can and usually will burn it off but until it does, you are stuck. At night, you're really screwed (had that happen to us 2 weeks ago at night...not forecasted).

I'm sure there are some "official" documents on the net you can read but when you see 45 degree water and air temps 55+ degrees and a stalled front (no wind), start considering the possibility of heavy fog.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 42 Posts