Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1, 12/12
Launched boat @ 6:30 am to a bit of a breeze but not terrible. As the graphic below shows, it didn't stay that way long.

Headed to the shoal in 3' foot waves by the time we got there the wind and waves had picked up coinsiderably and I decided it was in our best interest to make our way back in.

We passed Hank, Jumbo and WP surfing the waves about a mile south of the concrete ships they were headed out. :eek2: As Jamie posted in his report there were 5'-6' waves and I think a few in there were a little better than that.
Back at the ramp.

Day 2 12/13

Still a little rough on the way out but much better than Friday. Made our way out to the 4th. It didn't take long and we were picking away at them and for a good portion of the morning we were basically the only boat there except for a VA charter boat who was trolling back and forth. I could see W. Pete had plenty of company over @ the 3rd :yes: .

Eventually most of the boats from the 3rd started fishing the 4th and it got a little crowded but, for the most part everyone played nice, there were fish just about everywhere in the area. When the current was right it was pretty much a fish on every cast.

Once the wind layed down enough we started working the bridge pilings and they were holding a little bit better grade of fish than the islands.

Nothing real big this weekend 30" was the biggest but, we caught a lot of fish. I don't know exactly how many we caught but it was well over 100.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Great job sticking it out Saturday!

Nice talking with you guys (I had the Hydra Sports) in the parking lot at the Inn.

We decided not to brave it and stopped at Lake Anna on the way home and picked up a striper there...1st one in my boat from there!

Ernie

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great job sticking it out Saturday!

Nice talking with you guys (I had the Hydra Sports) in the parking lot at the Inn.

We decided not to brave it and stopped at Lake Anna on the way home and picked up a striper there...1st one in my boat from there!

Ernie
Nice talking you as well. The weather is always the X factor down there.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
It does look a tad rough out there Tim but I know that Sea Pro can handle it. Thanks for the report and great pic's. I hope to be down there the day after Xmas, by the way the rod in that one pic looks familiar…:thumbup:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mostly 6" BKD's on 3/4oz - 1.5oz jig heads depending on the current and drift speed. Color prefernce seemed to be chartruse but we caught on most all colors. 10" BKD's caught too but a lot of short strikes.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Note to self - when you have whitecaps inside the concrete ships, stay home! :) - looked rough!

Nice cathin' on the light tackle. Great pics!

Glenn

·
Registered
824 Posts
How 'bout that...we were right there with you!

We came down to the ramp early Friday AM w/boat in tow but never splashed it. Watched for an hour or so waiting to see if it got any better. When we watched that Polar (23 or 25' CC) head out and look as though he was launched like a missle when he cleared the concrete ships, that pretty much did it for us. Everybody pulled their boats that were sitting at the dock, and when we left, there were only 2 trailers left in the lot...Pete's and the Polar boat. Met Shaggy at the dock...unfortunately didn't catch up w/him the rest of the trip. So, I headed over the bridge to visit my daughter and her new baby...returned around 3 (acreas of birds from the mainland to the 1st Island (same as when we were down there 2 weeks ago) and saw some boats on the 3rd. Pulled over to see Pete there and 1 other boat. Watched for a few minutes but no action.

Splashed on Sat and slowly headed down to the tunnel riding steady 3'ers and the occasional 4-5'er. We were hoping it would be okay on the other side of the bridge but no luck. Motored over to the 4th and drifted there all day. I didn't get to fish b/c I had a full boat of sons, son in law, and his navy buddy. We didn't do too well (they're not that experienced) and lost about 30 of my lures :cool2:.

Was gonna fish 1/2 day Sunday but w/a tide change mid-morning and accuweather calling for 15 out of the S @ 10 we decided to head back.

Went down there w/my B-I-L....for some reason he wanted to comm on 73...switched to 68 periodically but never got hold of anyone.

Nice pics and post.

Joe

PS: To all you Stingray bashers, we love it! Great truck stop food that my diet doesn't afford me that luxury very often. Friendly folk too....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We came down to the ramp early Friday AM w/boat in tow but never splashed it. Watched for an hour or so waiting to see if it got any better. When we watched that Polar (23 or 25' CC) head out and look as though he was launched like a missle when he cleared the concrete ships, that pretty much did it for us.
The Polar with twins didn't stay out long, I saw his rig pull back into Kipto shortly after we got back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts