Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made the suicide run from PA yesterday, seeking a little redemption...last three trips down were pretty poor and/or came with boat troubles, so while it was an average day for down there with no big fish/overs, it was almost non-stop action throughout the day. Launched around 10 into some pretty sporty conditions. My little SeaCraft rides pretty wet, so I was soaked within five minutes. Luckily it was relatively mild, so I was far from miserable, but note to self: save up for an enclosure.

Anyway, there was nothing doing around the High Rise and Nine Foot wasn't very fishy at all. There was also only sporadic bird activity where a handful of birds would get interested in something for five minutes and then break up. But I found stacks of marks just north of the fourth and the magic depth of the day was 38'-50'. I think only one fish was smaller than a keeper and the average was maybe 21". Again, no overs and we boxed our limit of three footballs in the 26" class. It was a back-to-basics trip where I packed only LTJ gear, no sticks to try trolling or eeling like last few times, and I'm relieved to show my crew of dad and bro that I have a little "A" game left ;-) , putting us on a nice, steady bite throughout the day. We worked hard for 'em, since sometimes the drift would only give us about 60-90 seconds in the zone before having to set another drfit. I'm not a fan of anchoring, but I realize there were some opportunities yesterday to have sat on and bailed the biggest piles of fish we found if I had enough anchor line to get the scope to hold.

Here's some pics of the better, high-side-of-average fish of the day...not anything major, but good sights for sore eyes that haven't seen a rockfish all year, let alone about 70 of 'em.

Dad

Bro

Me

The seas settled nicely and the Fishweather.com wind forecast was all but spot-on. The afternoon's overcast skies gave way to the sun in time to turn out a beautiful sunset. It was hard to leave as the bite got better as the sun dipped below the horizon, but we were more than satisfied. Lastly, some random particulars...

• LTJ was the and only ticket, 1-2oz. heads, 5-7" BA's and BKD's
  • did bring a light butterfly-jigging setup that worked very well, but snagging and losing them at $8+ a pop wasn't gonna fly for very long...I'm gonna look into a cheaper alternative, because they were notably effective
  • tried out the J-knot for joining superline to leader and was pleased with the results, especially when the superline was doubled first with a surgeon's knot...we snagged a lot, and only had to break off about 30%, which is pretty good in the long run
  • BPS magibraid rocks has won me over. I wish it was little more visible because staring at computers is doing a number on my eyes, but this stuff is strong and has close to or the lowest diameter of any superline and I've tried almost off them...their 20# is scarcely bigger than 10# FreLine and is limp out of the box, where FL needs to break in a little...I'm probably switching all my reels over as their current lines wear out.

Alrighty, so I have to clean up all my gear, clean a few fish and still make a brunch, so I'm outta' here. Have a great new year, all!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, TH. I bought it a couple years ago from TF'er Rickster. He brought it up from Florida. A PO did the conversion/restore. It's a '66 bowrider, I/O to bracket. She flies with the 175, but narrow beam and not a whole lot of flair makes for a wet ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts