Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the recon mission from Kimbro and Francis, I think we should get a thread going for CBBT topics.

Who's going?
When?
How are things shapping up for the CBBT this year?
Eel'ing?
LTJ'ing?

I will be down the weekends of Dec. 5th and 12th. Hoping for good weather and some pullage.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
We will be there Dec 7 and 8 fishing on my boat. I will have TF'er gw204, my father and his buddy. Method of fishing will depend a lot on weather and if there are breaking fish to be seen. Most likely we will start with eeling at day break but once the sun is up, we will start on the troll to find bubba. If we see birds working schoolies, we certainly will jig a few up. However, when we go there I am more interested in a few big fish than a ton of smaller fish.

I am hoping for a little harsher weather than the indian summer we had during last years trip just to keep the crowds down some ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will be there this weekend on my own boat. I've never been and I'm going with a guy who's never been, but we've got a friend down there who's given us some information. I think we'll probably end up talking to our friend, talking to tackle store employees, and following the crowds. I have no idea at all what to expect. :)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Next weekend for the first time and then other weekends will vary on weather. I jig mostly but I want to see one of them bobbers go under this year.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next weekend for the first time and then other weekends will vary on weather. I jig mostly but I want to see one of them bobbers go under this year.
I was thinking about eel'ing one day down there just to try it but, the light tackle action is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have a hard time swaying away from the light tackle stuff too, but, anymore to get the bubbas I think it's going to take a multipronged approach as I don't think there are enough fish anymore to make every day a banner day on light tackle.

From here on out, each day I will have 8 trolling rods rigged, 6 eeling rods rigged and a few light tackle rods ready to go too. It's gonna take every tool you have to put that fifty in the boat this year. I'm forecasting slower fishing and more competition.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Hey Tim, when do you an opening???? :D Had a great time last year and I look foward to getting down there again this year but not sure when. I took off work from December 18 thru the 28th

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Tim, when do you an opening???? :D Had a great time last year and I look foward to getting down there again this year but not sure when. I took off work from December 18 thru the 28th
Hey bud, We had a great time with you last year as well. If I can get off for the 18th lets do it. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I will be there every chance I get. I would like to find weekends where there is enough TF interest to rent a cabin at Kipto state park, and split the cost... as opposed to $100 a night at Kitpopeke Inn.

I think a Kipto cabin is $275 a night and has 6 bedrooms and sleeps 12??? I'm sure there are 12 TFers there every weekend in December and January who would want to do a friday and saturday night stay.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Fellas, for the first time in 9 years I'm taking off the days between x-mass and new years.

keep me up to date on plans made by all, I want to try and make my first trip to the promise land this year.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I will be there every chance I get. I would like to find weekends where there is enough TF interest to rent a cabin at Kipto state park, and split the cost... as opposed to $100 a night at Kitpopeke Inn.

I think a Kipto cabin is $275 a night and has 6 bedrooms and sleeps 12??? I'm sure there are 12 TFers there every weekend in December and January who would want to do a friday and saturday night stay.
I am planning on going down December 5-8th and possibly the weekend after New Years. If details could be worked out I would be interested. I will have 1 or 2 with me.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'll be there as much as possible... always looking to HO with other's whose boats are a bit more "CBBT-worthy" than my 19'-er.

As for places to stay - also check out VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (select "virginia" - "cape charles") - we rented a house for a weekend of fishing last year for far less than the Kipto Inn costs - and much more comfortable.

So, who needs an LTJ-in' HO??? :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
MD season is open a lot longer this year. Could be good up our way for a while yet. In January is when we all should concentrate on fishing the CBBT. By then the pressure disappears, the fish are still there and eager as ever. Plus you can head to the Ocean if you need some meat. Tends to be more gannets in the ocean anyway.

I can't believe Kipto cabins are that much now. They used to be so cheap for a week. Oh well. What about renting a place for a month. If you're really going to be that insane and make that many trips, it might be worth looking into. You can also put a camper in the field behind the old Best Western for pretty cheap.

I'll be looking to ho this year quite a bit. Definitely around Christmas time and into January.

I'll also be looking into guides who will do a night trip to the high rise. If that means we have to catch a ride from the southern shore than so be it. Too many headaches to think about with your own boat when night fishing but it's doable and many Va Beach regulars often fish at night, even if it's a further run from the northern shore to the high rise.

A few tips to avoid crowds at the ramp.
Launch or retrieve at night
Launch after the morning rush or before in the dark
Use the "other" boat ramp in the wildlife refuge

Good luck, be safe and take a ho. They might return the favor one day.

A few tips to avoid the wind:
West wind means rough seas on the eastern/northern shore so cross the bridge or try out of Oyster. Many of the inlets on the southern shore will remain protected no matter what the wind and all hold fish well. The shoals around the bridge turn into a mixing bowl when it's blowing greater than 15mph.

To think that there are a lot of people out there who get depressed this time of year with the seasons changing. They obviously aren't fishermen.

·
Registered
264 Posts

me and my son would be interested. i never been down there but i am dying to go if its adults only i could bring my buddy. i got a 20 seapro cc they say you need good weather with a boat that small?or your just going to get beat up. or we could ho for the weekend with some one,let me know if you get something together.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts

I just made reservations today. Kiptopeke Inn is $79 per night with AAA card. i hope one of my crew has one :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts