Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The winds for Memorial Day weekend 2015 at CBBT were predicted to be in the 10 mph range. But, as it often happens down there, the wind speeds were much higher. I estimate it was blowing 20 to 25 all day and gusting to over 30 mph. Going into the wind, the seas were 4 to 6 footers. Small Craft Warnings were issued but we ventured out regardless in Leon's new 23' Twin Vee. It took us over an hour to get from Latimer Shoal in front of Kiptopeake to the 4th Island where we could be out of the wind somewhat. Leon did a great job handling the boat in rough conditions and putting us in a position to catch the fish.

After all, we are intrepid anglers and we were there to fish. Once we set up, ate a sandwich and watched a beautiful sunset, the action heated up. About 8:45pm, one of the five rods we had out went off and Jim grabbed it in hopes of catching his first drum. It turned out to be a sand shark. While Leon, Rob and Jim were busy with the 4' shark, the rod near me went off so I picked it up and started reeling. The fish fought hard but I had it hooked with an 8/0 circle. Turns out it was 47 inches long and 1 inch over my personal best red I caught in 2008. We were all high fives and big smiles.

Then, about an hour later, a rod went down next to Rob and he took control bringing in another big red which also measured 47 inches. Again, we were all happy and congratulating each other. Landing both fish was a team effort and we got both reds back in the bay quickly after taking a couple pictures.

Rob joked that his red was really 47 1/8 " long, I reluctantly agreed but said it was a skinny one.

We fished until midnight trying to get more bites but the tide changed, we lost the current and it was time to go.

The next day, me and Rob went to Chris' B & T to do some paperwork for our release citations then we all had breakfast at Stingrays. I had to head home but Leon, Rob and Jim went back out and fished until 11pm but it was windier than the day before. Those guys stuck it out but didn't get a bite.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Hey Timbo- Thanks for joining us last wkend. Its get'n to be your birthday ritual.
I thought Monday was gona be a better day weather wise, but soon after we got on the water it started blow'n again. When its an eastern wind like that, there is not much you can do but get behind an island. It worked Sunday night but as luck has it, they didn't show up Monday. Maybe next time we'll be able to fish where we want. Although the weather hindered us, its always an awesome experience to put those kinda fish on the deck..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts