Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the delay but my phone and cable have been out. Chad and I launched at Sea View around 6:30 AM. I was focused on catching a Sheepshead so I fished several good looking spots from the 1st SBC to the Yancey and got nothing. They've stumped me, but I'm not out of the game yet. Paddled around the island and it was like Sea World! The water was clear and I could see puppy drum in the rocks. Then we had some HUGE black drum swim right under the boat. Awesome! Around the spine, there were more reds and sheepshead! I could see the little ******s stealing my bait. I tried smaller hooks, different rigs, Gulp crabs, Sandfleas. The sheeps won the battle but the war is not over. Anyway, got into a blitz of blues to end the day and paddled back to the beach in a 10-15 headwind, which kept the sweat outta my eyes. I think Chad found a nice striper ans some blues while he was out there. Probably would have been better on the pups and blacks earlier in the morning with less overhead sunlight and fewer boats buzzing around. Also saw a pretty good sized spadefish, and me with out a clam to throw at him. Down but not out. Anyone who is interested in going during the week, give me a call.

Ric
289-5136

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've done a lot of Sheephead fishing off of the rocks in Mayport, FL and we always used fiddler crabs. They would be easy to take out in a pepsi bottle with a wide mouth while in the kayak. And our secret was to use a light weight 1/4 oz and 6 inches of leader with this big fat mouth hook (I am so sorry I can't remember the kind) and we would move the bait slowly up and down so we could feel the little boogers when they nibbled the bait off the hook. Always worked pretty good. I'll edit this after I call my cuz and find out the name of those sheephead hooks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
While fishing the jetty, I kept looking out wondering what you guys were catching. I had some sheep bites, but couldn't hook any of them either. They kept crushing my crabs. I learned some things though. I am determined to catch them this year.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sounds like your trip was similar to ours that morning. Calvin did get a nice 22" flounder. We all got lots of short ones. I had something big that broke off. I think it was a red. If the reds are at the 1st island, I bet they will be around Ft. Wool soon. As I said before, this is the week last year that we started catching them there, and in the Eliz. River soon after that. That will be my next trip. I don't think I have the patience to fish for sheepshead or togs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was Sunday and the water wasn't even THAT clear. Typical summer murk, but I could see down about 5 feet. The big blacks were close to 50 inches and only a few inches under the water and our boats. The reds were between the island and the first set of rocks under the water. It is frustrating to see how many fish are down there that are ambivalent to my tempting. Then again, after being attacked by the sheephead skunk, Life Aquatic is a nice consolation prize. I saw another big black at Little Creek yesterday, routing around in the rocks, half out of the water. Sheepies still skunked me but, luckily, the jumbo horseheads and blues were more cooperative. I've fished all my life, but never seen the stuff I've seen since I got the yak. I'm lovin' the Life Aquatic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
[Q]naked goby originally wrote:
I had some sheep bites, but couldn't hook any of them either.
[/Q]
[grin]
Calvin is that a new flavor fish bites?....sheep bites? [wink]

I wanna go fishing this weekend![excited]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts