Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photobucket
I think I am done Rock fishing for the year. This weekend the water temperature down the Cbbt was 38-43 degrees. Most people and guides were getting skunked or catching one fish a day. What happened to the Promise Land? I did not leave the boat down Cape Charles. We got lucky to get one fish a day; a 40 inch 32 pound fish and a 36 inch fish loaded with sea lice. I fished with George and Greg and had a great time but was not worth the money.doh
This is the worst Rock fish season I had in many years of fishing. I am real concerned about the Rock fish population in the bay. I think next year I am going to do more trips closer to home.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
We fished OC Friday and the temps had everything shut down. We pulled the boat and then ran down to the bridge Saturday morning. We put around 60 miles on the boat running around in the ocean but did find some fish. We caught about 30-40 up to 39 inches but literally got our asses kicked. The forecast was for 5-10 and 1-2 but really was 10-15 and 2-3 with some 4-5 mixed in. At some points we had had to keep telling ourselves " remember this is what we love to do".

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I don't think the fish have moved in, in full effect yet, I just got a call that they are hammering big fish out in the ocean in front of chincoteague, the trollers are limiting very quick.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I havent fish down there in almost 5 years and now you know why but I was there for the hey day and its was awesome. Its a shame the fish are thinned but out how long will they hold out when they get pounded 12 months a year.... Shut it down in the winter they need a rest

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
sorry you had a tough trip, Paul.

that fishery down there has a much bigger impact on the stocks than our spring "trophy" season
they need to do something or we won't even get 1 fish a day

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
1 word gentleman. WATER TEMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything under 44F and pull the boat and watch tv.

I was going down for my B-DAY again Dec 28th. but thats not happening. I'm thinking of going north back to VERMONT and do some ice fishing with my Uncle and friends.

Phil (lily)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
1 word gentleman. WATER TEMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything under 44F and pull the boat and watch tv.

I was going down for my B-DAY again Dec 28th. but thats not happening. I'm thinking of going north back to VERMONT and do some ice fishing with my Uncle and friends.

Phil (lily)
That's right. We had 43 at the bridge and 52 many miles out where were catching. The person we got our info from caught 9 fish over 40 on Friday with 3-4 over 45 along with a bunch of slots. It's really sad that the Bridge has become such a disappointment. It was an annual tradition that was long anticipated

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Its a shame but after Xmas its going to warm up and stay warm the rest fo the winter. I might go down in Jan. sometime and fish with Capt Greg on the 'FINFINDER". Do LTJ and TROLLING trip.

Anyone else want to join me. I'm thinking 3rd week or later?

Phil (lily)

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Nothing lasts forever.The Walleye fishing on the lower Susky is down to almost nothing too.It might not be long before the tidal Bass fishing is a once upon a time story.Fishing pressure,especially during spawning season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts