Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From some of the posts I've seen in the past week is seems like there are some grey trout around. If the weather cooperates I am hoping to get out fishing around the CBBT next weekend. I am considering a night trip targeting grey trout. I recall seeing a couple of posts last fall showing some nice trout caught at night. I've fished this area at night for stripers plenty of times but never for trout. Can any of you offer advice that might put me on some trout? I prefer to fish light tackle w/artificials or fly. Thanks. Pat.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
All four islands will hold trout on the full moons in May. The problem has been getting your lure past the pesky rockfish. They are catchin greys at the hrbt now. good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not sure about the night bite but we have caught lots in the months of May and June using stingsilver 2-oz lures in pink/white and gold.

Later in the year, the trick is getting the trout onboard in one piece, We've lost several bottom halves to shark or bluefish.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I believe you are about 25 years late....there were lots of large trout at the CBBT at all times of the year...and in late May, near Memorial Day it was difficult to find a piling that was not already taken near the 3rd and 4th islands, using live spot as bait..the nighttime fish were large and plentiful. But the trout fishery collapsed several years ago and ASMFC cannot seem to get a grip on themselves when it comes to the decision to close this fishery to commercial as well as recreationals(indicison-may be a better word). When Rockfish got that bad, it took an act of Congress to address the situation. We are getting down to cathching the last trout around here unless a total maratorium is put on trout for about 4 years and give them a chance to rebound...it may too late already.

Bob Allen Hampton, VA

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bob, I agree in the 80's grey trout fishing was as popular as rock fishing is today. Like you I'm sorry to see it has diminished over the years.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I believe you are about 25 years late....there were lots of large trout at the CBBT at all times of the year...and in late May, near Memorial Day it was difficult to find a piling that was not already taken near the 3rd and 4th islands, using live spot as bait..the nighttime fish were large and plentiful. But the trout fishery collapsed several years ago and ASMFC cannot seem to get a grip on themselves when it comes to the decision to close this fishery to commercial as well as recreationals(indicison-may be a better word). When Rockfish got that bad, it took an act of Congress to address the situation. We are getting down to cathching the last trout around here unless a total maratorium is put on trout for about 4 years and give them a chance to rebound...it may too late already.

Bob Allen Hampton, VA
You're right - big trout at night was what we used to go for. Anchor up on the islands all night long and fish. Too bad fisheries management at most levels is poor to none. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
575 Posts

Bob Allen Hampton, VA
I don't know about all that! If they cut off the commercial catch and put an 18" min. with 2 fish bag limit on recs. or something like that, it would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I remember just a couple of years ago there were big grey trout being caught then came the rockfish netters and the fishery died. I believe those nets caught all the big fish in my opinion.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just 3 years ago my freinds and I were catching quite a few Grey's up to 12lbs and then the next two years we have not had any luck at all. Only a handfull each year and they were all under 6lbs. Don't know what happened but that is one fun fish to catch and sure would like to teach my son how to catch them one day.

Ralph

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
You will find millions of spike trout, 6-9 inches with a few 14 inchers here and there but the big greys have left, died, been caught. Who knows but they aren't around in any numbers.

it's best to let every trout you catch go because the fishery completely collapsed in the last few years. I'm not an old timer and only started fishing the salt in the late 90's. We used to catch limits of greys up to 12 pounds from shore of DE bay in 98-2002 then nothing the following year and every year since. At least the CBBT has those dinks around but that's all I've been catching for the last several years while fishing there. Only DINKS.

So why so many tiny fish but no adults? Is it because the striper fishery came back so strong? Who knows but I don't think I'd trade trout for stripers but we should be able to have a happy medium.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was thinking the Big Rocks maybe eating them at some point. I figure a 30 pounder would be happy to eat a 2 pound trout. but you would think the big ones would be around still, maybe the netters have cleaned them out?

·
Registered
218 Posts
While I agree they need help I don't think it's time for a moratoreum. Every species goes through it's up and down cycles and they're definately in the down part. I've done well with larger fish in the last 3-4 yrs. in Rudee, Lynnhaven and both tunnels with fish over 8 lbs. in all areas. Don't get me wrong it's nothing like the 70's or 80's here or the Outer Banks, but it's not dead either. Maybe like was said earlier a longer size limit (a 12" Trout is a joke) and fewer fish per person, per day would be a good start.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are really sucking the fun out of my planned fishing trip. I didn't realize that I had planned an outing around an extinct species.

Sorry. I'm just kidding. I realize that gray trout are hard to come by these days. Honestly I've only ever caught a couple nice sized trout and its been awhile. However, it seems like every once in a while there's a report of someone picking up a few nice ones around the CBBT. I figured that they should be moving in to the Bay about now and with any luck I might stumble across a couple. Can't hurt to try, right? Worst case I C+R some rockfish. I'll let you all know how we do.

Best fishes,
P.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I fished for them in the early eighties with my dad and had a blast and then in the late nighties with little success. 2004 we caught 3 up to 12 lbs and one fish in 2005 over many trips that measured for a 30.5" release.

·
Registered
408 Posts
you dont think maybe the rockfish, bluefish, sharks, etc., etc. cant find anything else to eat. there main source of food alewives have been practically wiped out,that they are gonna find another foodsource like trout, croaker, and bluecrabs. all of which have been in short supply lately in MD. come summer we got plenty of skinny rockfish and a few small blues but thats about it. BAN THE NETS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A friend of mine sent me a pdf from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commision regarding the status of Weakfish stocks. Basically they say the stocks are in serious decline and something needs to be done. However, their evidence doesn't point to overfishing. Instead their models suggest the decline is due to a rise in natural mortality, specifically a decrease in forage species (ie menhaden) and increased predation by rockfish. As a result, there is reluctance to take any steps to reduce harvests via an increase in minimum size or a decrease in creel limits. The report is pretty interesting. Is it possible to attach a pdf to a post on this board? If so, I'd be happy to share the article with all of you.

Pat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts