Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to HO on January 2,3 or 4th. I'll help out in every way I can and I know the area well. Bmail or call. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Jon
301 717-3878

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I have a game plan. After new Years with the wife and kids, a family day or two at Ocean City, I'm heading south to CBBT on Friday sometime after ditching the kids with the in-laws. {Poor kids.} Instead of working on the big boat and bringing it out of hibernation, I'm taking a kayak or the 14' jon boat. I'm going to launch at Wise ramp and head to Smith Island. From there I'm going to beach the boat and walk around the island to fish the ocean side mostly. There is miles of decent looking beach structure on that island but I'm most interested in the southern tip of Smith Island creating the northern point of Fishermen's Island Inlet. At least that's what I think it is. The current rips through there and creates some insane white water that resembles places like Oregon Inlet or Hatteras Inlet because it's strewn with boat eating, striped bass craving shoals. I've done this before but in the larger boat. The tricky part is not getting stuck on the sand bars on the way to the island and not getting sucked out to sea through Fishermen's Island Inlet.

I'm getting excited about it just writing this. I'll probably get skunked but there's a small chance I might strike gold. How often does that beach get fished anyway?

If I make it all work and the weather cooperates, I'll be happy just trying. But if the wife needs me or the in-laws throw in the towel, I'll be on here with the rest of you reading all the reports on the Va Board filled with ocean blitzes.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
That sounds like a GREAT trip. I would plan to run with the tides (head out during the outgoing, come back during the incoming), because when it's sweeping through there there's no way a kayak can out-pace it.

Unfortunately, unless I'm mistaken, you are technically not allowed to beach any boat on, or fish from, fisherman's island. It's a wildlife refuge, and I know the guys at TKAA.org (tidewater kayak angler's association) always launch at Sunset Beach Resort when they fish the shoals for redfish... I've never once read a report there of them beaching the yak, which would be a very obvious thing to do if it was allowed.

I have wanted to fish from wise ramp in a kayak for a long time, and expect you might be able to include puppy drum in your list of targeted species.

I say this more for the edification of the general public who might be reading this thread, but obviously any such trip would REQUIRE appropriate gear -- including a drysuit or at least a drytop with waders.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not going to Fishermen's Island, I'm going to Smith Island. Which is legal.

As for your question about why they don't just fish from the beach, well, then you wouldn't be fishing from a kayak. Plus you don't really get next to the good shoals from shore. With a boat you can get right on the biggest and badest shoals that hold insane numbers of fish. I've done this before in a friends boat.

But for parking and walking Smith Island, it's legal. Not all the islands are open to foot traffic but that one is. Fishermen’s is closed.

The island I’d really like to get on are a few north of Oyster but they are also off limits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts