Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fishing CBBT January 2nd-4th? I have a few days free and looking to do some fishing if anyone needs a helper on board.

I'll be in Ocean City for the New Year but could drive where ever to meet a boat. Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I have a game plan. After new Years with the wife and kids, a family day or two at Ocean City, I'm heading south to CBBT on Friday sometime after ditching the kids with the in-laws. {Poor kids.} Instead of working on the big boat and bringing it out of hibernation, I'm taking a kayak or the 14' jon boat. I'm going to launch at Wise ramp and head to Smith Island. From there I'm going to beach the boat and walk around the island to fish the ocean side mostly. There are miles of decent looking beach structure on that island but I'm most interested in the southern tip of Smith Island creating the northern point of Fishermen's Island Inlet. At least that's what I think it is. The current rips through there and creates some insane white water that resembles places like Oregon Inlet or Hatteras Inlet because it's strewn with boat eating, striped bass craving shoals. I've done this before but in the larger boat. The tricky part is not getting stuck on the sand bars on the way to the island and not getting sucked out to sea through Fishermen's Island Inlet.

I'm getting excited about it just writing this. I'll probably get skunked but there's a small chance I might strike gold. How often does that beach get fished anyway?

If I make it all work and the weather cooperates, I'll be happy just trying. But if the wife needs me or the in-laws throw in the towel, I'll be on here with the rest of you reading all the reports on the Va Board filled with ocean blitzes.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I've always wanted to go up there for redfish/specs but I'm never around when they're running--or I have wife/kid committments that preclude it. I'll try to sneak out on the 2nd if the weather cooperates but I don't think I'll head that far north from LCRK in my 16ft carolina skiff--CBBT 4th Island is pretty much my northern limit and only if I'm not having any luck on the first & second island or along the southern-most span. Post your report, I'm interested to hear how it works out for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It was kind of like that today East of the CBBT--not as many birds in one spot, but spread out in several groupings all over large schools of stripers. Great trip and serious striper thumb. Flat calm and a little foggy--they were eating bay anchovies, so a small chartreuse over white bendback on a size 4 worked very well. They probably would have hit topwater but I was using a 400 gr. on my 9 wt and only had the one rod today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts