Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I really think it's going to take a combination of jigging, trolling, and eeling to really put the meat in the boat at the CBBT this year. Carrying a full array of trolling rods, eeling rods, and jigging rods is not easy in a small boat. Especially because I still want to be able to move around the boat freely and jig of all sides. I also want to be able to keep all the rods rigged too, so I never have to tie up when there is a bite going on, or switch rigs on rods while I am on the water. I want everything to be ready to dunk in the water at a moments notice. Also the only way it was going to work was to be able to carry all the rods at the console. Anywhere else, and they get too much in the way of backcasts when jigging, especially with three or four people in the boat.

It may sound a little anal, but at the CBBT, the stakes are high. Five minutes of tying up could literally mean not catching the largest fish of your life. I want to ready to catch fish when they are ready to bite.

Now...I'm not complaining about the price of custom alum fabrication. It is a specialized craft that requires specialized tools and expertise but when I sketched out what I wanted as a rod rack for the CBBT and got a quote back of over 800 dollars, I knew it was time for me to do it myself!

Went to posners and bought an 1.5" alum pipe and 1/2"X1" alum flat bar. Started cutting and bending. By heating up the flat bar with a torch and putting it in a vise around a jig, I was able to bend it pretty consistently and easily.

Attached the alum pipe via nuts and bolts. Five drill bits later, and I was in action. This will hold 13 rods on the front of my console, and the holders are spaced far enough apart for them to accomodate reels the size of a 6/0 Senator. This is no coincidence. That is exacltly the number I will need for 8 trolling rods and 5 eeling rods.

I thought I was done there but I received a catalog from a place called Melton tackle. I had never seen them before and I do not know how I got on their mailing list. They are mostly offshore stuff. They have a little thing called a Jose rod holder. A pack of ten is like 14 bucks, perfect! I thought these would be great to go on the side of my console. They don't stick out very far and don't get in the way too much when they are not in use holding rods. I would imagine I would only use them rarely, since I like to keep the sides of my console free from obstructions when I am running around the deck.

I mounted the holders to a strip of board, and mounted the strip of board to the console after painting it with a two part epoxt paint. On the bottom side, I took another strip of board and drilled out holes in a hole saw and screwed it right in to the deck.

All in all, including my leaning post, planer board rod holders, gunnel mount rod holders, flush mount rod holders, rail mount rod holders, and now the console rod holders I have 67 slots in my boat for rods. That should be enough for a while!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way. With SS hardware, paint, and all the other materials, it all cost me less then 200 dollars to fabricate. If you want something like this in your boat, let me know. It takes a day to make and is super easy overall. I have some extra material and would probably be able to help.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
SWEEEEEET!!!:yes: Thats one thing that drives me crazy about my 23WA.......hard to keep the deck clear. The only problem that I can see, that you may have, is the rods on the side of the console jumping out of the bottom jig........If so, you could get some plastic block and raise that bottom jig up 2-3"'s........I love this kinda stuff though.....I had found a Penn 620 downrigger at the flea market for a song but when I tried to get the base, they have been on backorder all year.......With a block of plastic, a miter saw and 1/2hr, I made one that looks identical to the one Penn sells only mine is white.......blends into the gunnel better than the black one they sell.:yes:

Bill

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Am I the only one who doesnt own 67 rods??? :D:D:D Nice work Francis!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point. We will see if it becomes a problem with them jumping up and down.

I may take your suggestion and just raise them up two inches tomorrow. Then I could sneak a sponge under them now and then to clean the floor.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Pretty cool setup, but you cant throw those plastic rod holders away,you must mount them somewhere and buy more rods to put them in:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Francis - nice work. I like the way you think!

Good luck this year at CBBT. Hope to see you down there real soon!

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
come on, you can fit 2 more on there somewhere:clapping2::clap:

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
How much does 67 combos weigh? Can your boat handle all of that plus fishermen, gear, and the limit of 50#er's?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Francis -

Although perhaps a bit on the obsessive side, you show great creativity and good workmanship. Nice job. In case you have not already done so, you may consider bolting some rod holders on the front or side of a cooler. I have used a 3-rod holder on the front of a medium sized cooler for more than a decade. It has been a valuable addition to the rod holders on my various boats.

I also bolted two single rod holders on the end of a larger Igloo cooler that stayed on the boat.

Now that my Parker is off to a new owner, and I will be using a 15'6" Gheenoe next season, I will need to show some creativity about rod and gear storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dude,

I love to see guys that are into the sport. But believe you may have contracted Robo- Fishingmyofacisitis. I would not be surprised to see you at the ramp with the mega- mutha

Four trolling rods can double as the eeling rods. 8 more rods for jigging and topwater for 4 guys is plenty. Just seems like you are going to have a lot of stuff on your boat that IMHO you dont need.

when it is on you will not miss the fish tying up.

I only bring 3 rods for myself. All lite tackle to 12 lbs. When I am at cbbt it is an all day affair, so I dont mind taking a break to retie and reminisce on fish caught, how my buds and families are doing or just plain old bull****ing. For me it is all part of the day fishing with family and friends.

1 baitcaster for jig eeling
1 spincast for topwater and jig
1 flyrod 9wt intermed w/ 325grain spare reel

I dont troll at the cbbt. I think it is better to find a pocket of fish and jig or eel the pilings or tubes.

In fact, with this set up you will have little retying to do. I tie up eel rigs ahead of time so its really no big deal to switch out.

my buds do the same up to 3 guys on a 21 cc works best for us.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts