Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left worked midday on Saturday and picked Timbo up at Anglers, this was the first time I
had HOs on my boat but Tim proved to be a good fisherman and excellent company.
We arrived at Chris's bait and tackle at 5ish and awaited JohnnyO our other HO to join us so we could launch at Kiptopeake and Eel the bridge that evening. John and Tim have a good deal more experience at the CBBT so it was good to have them aboard. The eel bite never happened but we did manage one dogfish in 4 hours ;-). It was a beautiful night with a full moon, but the bite never happened.
Got out at first light on Sunday and drifted eels above Plantation Light. Most of the eels were dead and after about 90 minutes with nary a pickup we left for the bridge. We drifted the Northbound pilings in a racing tide. It was a full time job on the helm to keep the Parker 2520 in position. In my opinion a 25' boat with an extended transom and outboard is nearly too big to fish the bridge and especially in a ripping tide. We caught lots of schoolies for a total of about 40 fish, John had the hot hand and managed a 40" fish which was released after a picture. Chartreuse was the color and heavy weight was best to stay down in the bite zone, Caught fish in the 40' depths and later as the tide slowed we moved to 17 where the 40"er was caught, as we pulled up I marked a large bait ball and as I told the crew we noticed that John was hooked up with that nice fish who was no doubt chasing that bait. A slow twitch on the bottom seemed to be the best approach and fast tipped rods and braided line were a must.
It was a beautiful day and nice to get away from the stress for a short period of time. Lots of boats and saw some really big fish (48 lbs) weighed in, but all in all not the
kind of banner CBBT day we had hoped for.
Best,
Rick

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Rick summed up the trip well. Saturday night was beautiful on the water with the clear sky, calm seas and big, bright moon. We had high hopes of heavy pullage with monster stripers. However, it seemed like there was a boat at every piling and nobody that we could see was catching much but dogfish. The eeling bite didn't happen but we had to try.

Thanks for the invite Rick. It was nice meeting you and I enjoyed listening to your stories of you rubbing elbows with rich and famous musicians. (Rick is a guitar maker and in the music business.) Fishing out of the 2520 Parker was very comfortable even though it was a little dicey weaving between the pilings dealing with the ripping current.
I had a great time. Let's do it again. Here's a couple pics:

Me with one just under 28"

johnnyo with his 40 incher.

trapshoot - the eels were very lethargic after a night in the bucket; a few came back to life after being put in the water.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Nice fish guys!! I saw your boat down there, I can see how a big boat like then can be tough to manuver around there. to bad your not alowed to tie off to the pilings, you could bail the fish if you were able to stay over them, I thought about trying to anchor but the trollers would probally want to kill me:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zam, you are one brave man to fish by yourself down there. Saw you sitting up by Plantation Light in the morning all bundled up.
How was the eel bite? Did you get em?
I did see some guys anchoring in there, and we did during the evening eel trip.
Rick

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I didn't do any eeling down there, just jigging, that must of been someone else at Plantation light, I went straight to the bridge in the morning, I regret not trying some eeling while I was down there though

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks!

Rick,
Thanks again for letting me ride with you down at the CBBT! I had a great time, wish the fishing was just a little better but it isn't every day you get to jig up a 40"er!:bigfish:

Johnny O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts