Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going down in early December like the good old days jig pilings and drift eels off Kiptopeake and the high rise at the bridge at night I see they capped the size limit at 36 however I don鈥檛 keep big fish just like getting pictures. I got my personal best Rockfish drifting Eels under big bobber off the pound nets south of Kiptopeake State Park 25 minute fight on 15lb test with 60 lb leader on Shimano 3500 baitrunner she weighed 48 lb 6 oz and 49 1/2 inches I miss those trips with my buddies in December 馃槩

is it worth a 3 day trip?

thanks

Phil ( lily )

Registered
Been a long time but when that place was on it was great. Spent time there every December. Great fishing. Was just looking at some old pics from down there. Got to the point the fish we were catching were no larger then the upper bay so we stopped going down.

Give it a shot. Cape Charles is a nice place even if the fishing isn't so good.

Premium Member
omg...the cbbt many moons ago.... they were the days!

my go to place was the 9' knoll area on an outgoing tide. it was cold down there.....ice on the decks in the AM.

stingrays use to be a ok place to eat.......really went down hill

remember the bird beehives...........never saw another one

i really enjoyed the fishing and chartering...........but age caught up and i lost interest......im in Florida now NOT a good place to lose interest in fishin'

Registered
Thinking of going down in early December like the good old days jig pilings and drift eels off Kiptopeake and the high rise at the bridge at night I see they capped the size limit at 36 however I don鈥檛 keep big fish just like getting pictures. I got my personal best Rockfish drifting Eels under big bobber off the pound nets south of Kiptopeake State Park 25 minute fight on 15lb test with 60 lb leader on Shimano 3500 baitrunner she weighed 48 lb 6 oz and 49 1/2 inches I miss those trips with my buddies in December 馃槩

is it worth a 3 day trip?

thanks

Phil ( lily )
Did you mak a come back thought u were pushing up daisies

Registered
There is plenty of blame to go around but that coastal fishery of 2 big fish a day in my opinion was the one that really hit the stocks hard. Too many people killing way too many big fish. Up and down the coast. Hard to think that anyone could believe that was actually sustainable. So many boats. So many giant fish.

Registered
Funny you should post this. My friends and I used to have so much fun down there that we have scheduled to do it again this year. Sixteen of us are going mid December even though we know we aren't going to catch ****.

For the last six years, we have been going to the mouth of the Potomac. Going to Cape Charles this year just for old times' sake.

Pat

Registered
Funny you should post this. My friends and I used to have so much fun down there that we have scheduled to do it again this year. Sixteen of us are going mid December even though we know we aren't going to catch ****.

For the last six years, we have been going to the mouth of the Potomac. Going to Cape Charles this year just for old times sake.

Pat
I'm sure you will catch a few but what a trip down memory lane. Make sure you hit Stingray's but Chris's bait shop has been sold and under a different name. I think it's called Oceans East............. Gary

Registered
I used to love those trips. and Stingrays was very good in their heyday. One year we fished off the bridge tunnel and hit a school of 40lb. fish. After 3 fish I was done. Fighting huge fish with Shimano 200 Stradics and 6 and a half foot rods was crazy. We hit a school of big Dolphin last week off Lake Worth pier in 700 ft that were in the 40 to 50 lb using big poppers. Two fish were enough for this 80 year old. Next week the Sailfish should arrive.

Registered
Gary - I went to Stingrays after fishing the area this summer and was truly disappointed. Will not be going back. It used to be great.

We stay at the lodges down there and bring our own food. Big campfires and a giant pot of stew after a long day of fishing - you are correct about the trip down memory lane. Oh, and don't forget to stop at Wachapreague for your bushel of fresh oysters on the way down.

Also, I am sure we will make one trip to Kelly's in town to rip it up one night.

Good times

Pat

Registered
Nice to see some of you guys still kicking.

CBBT has been better in the summer than in the winter. I thought about going today, but it's not worth the fuel to drive down and back, especially in holiday traffic. Last year's T day trip with the kids, we caught about a dozen 10" bluefish, (in a 15 minute period) a couple of puppy drum, and four big gray trout. (in a 10 minute period) Not a single striper. Stayed out from sunrise to sunset.

That was a tough day for the kids. One of my nephews swore he would never go to the CBBT again. And he loves fishing. That says it all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts