Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What wind direction will produce the worst conditions in the CBBT area? Thoughts?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Winds from the north with an incomming current, winds from the south on a outgoing current. From there it depends so much on wind velocity and the time it has been blowing.

On the Eastern Shore side a NE wind isn't as bad as on the Western Shore.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Winds from the north with an incomming current, winds from the south on a outgoing current. From there it depends so much on wind velocity and the time it has been blowing.

On the Eastern Shore side a NE wind isn't as bad as on the Western Shore.
Agreed! It really depends on where you are fishing with specific conditions. We were out last night from the second SBC out to the second island with South winds 15-20 and it wasn't bad at all...all the schoolies you wanted:clap:

Ed

G

·
In general, wind blowing out of any easterly direction will make you want to stay home. If its a SE wind, it affects the eastern shore more. If its NE wind, then the Virginia Beach end gets it harder. Just depends on which body of land blocks some of it. Listen to NOAA and they report on winds at Kiptopeke and South Island. If its about 10-15, its messy.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fished down there in a NE wind and it does get pretty snotty.....I'm looking at the wind for Friday trying to determine how nasty 15 from the NW will be.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
15 from the NW will be a bit snotty. Down the beach (south of Rudee) it will be decent but there is almost no where to hide from a NW wind when fishing the CBBT.

15 knots would amount to a 2-3ft chop. We sat out at the High Level all night in a 15 knot NW and it was bumpy, but not terrible. Not too bad but if it blows 20+, hang on to your A$$

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have a look at a chart

smitty,
There's not much way to generalize, but if I were to do that, I'd say overall a N to NW is worst across the entire length of the span. I say that because there's nowhere from Fisherman's Island all the way to Chick's Beach which has less then, what, 12-15 miles open water between the span and the nearest land protection on a NW. North of approximately the First Island, the York opens up to the NW and right there you've got another, what, 15+ miles of open water a NW crosses before reaching the CBBT. A N comes dang near 200 miles from the mouth of the Susquehanna to the CBBT. What matters most is, as said before, "what direction, and for how long". NEs tend to be bad because they tend to remain in place for quite a while, even days, while a NW can be for a few hours to a day, day and a half following the passage of a cold front.

On the other end of the spectrum is a S to SW or SE. With that, much of the area parallel to the south shore of the Bay is protected and OK in 15-20 kt winds. I wouldn't hesitate to launch in Lynnhaven or Little Creek and fish out to, say, the Second in a S or SW 15-20kt. Probably wouldn't do the Third in that wind, though. Too much open water, especially on a SW, between land and the Third. Look at a chart and you'll see the area from roughly the Third on to Fisherman's Island is exposed to SE with no protection closer than West Africa.

The other thing to remember is to look at the "guesses" on a Marine forecast for the Lower Bay, like NOAA's "New Point Comfort to Cape Henry", as forecast winds are usually higher in those forecasts than those forecast for land. As often as the "guesses" are wrong for marine forecasts, trying to take a Norfolk, VB, Hampton, etc land forecast and translate it to the Bay is an exercise in futility.

Foy

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
South West 15+ sucks if you are leaving from any northern port and trying to run south towards Lynnhaven, get rough as snot going across the mouth of the James (HRBT)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts