Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished hard for Flounder Sat, Sun, Tues and Wed. We fished the standard 3 way dropper rigs with minnows or squid and could only catch small ones and large croaker. We switched to long strips of croaker and pulled in one citation (barely--7 lb. 1 0z, 27") and three in the five pound range immediately thereafter. We caught all the fish each day on the North/Eastern side of the Cell reef buoy. 16 oz. of lead on a 8" dropper with 4 ft. flouro with bucktail/spinner rig.

On the other hand, messing around in the Rapp and Narrows at night, we could could only get them to take minnows on a similar rig with 2 oz. of lead.

I went out Monday afternoon and Friday for spades at Wolftrap and caught limits, but all under 5 lbs. The "light as weight as possible" is bunk, as I caught them all on 1 oz. fish finder type rigs, and no one around me could get them with no weight or with corks.

Anyway, I will be back in September, but wanted to pass on the cut bait report, as no one seemed to be that excited about fishing with it while I was in VA.

Thanks for all the advice I received before my trip from BM!!!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Sounds like you had a very productive time at the cell on the Flatties and some great fun with the spades! WTG!!! Strips of Croaker have been the favorite for the larger fish in most areas. Thanks for the report!

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[Q]Kevin Smith originally wrote:
Sounds like you had a very productive time at the cell on the Flatties and some great fun with the spades!
[/Q]

Another thing I'll say about the spades is that you do hear a lot about cracking open the clams over the water ect to draw them up....but this time, I noticed that on each fish I brought up, at least three were following it. Kind of got me thinking about those old style duck decoys...........

So, knowing that this may be only a slightly less controversial topic than the Omega Protein debate, does anyone have any thoughts on using one of your four fish as a live decoy?

I have looked at the regs, and can't find anything prohibiting this practice. I also haven't tried it, but am curious on others' opinions.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Ketner,

I know that when we fish for Mahai, we always like to delay binging in one fish hooked up off the back of the boat. It seems to really help bring em in!!!! I hope it's not illegal??[grin][grin][grin]

Kev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts