Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drifted the channel edge at 42 until, then inside WT2 with only an occassional croaker. Tried everything we had including live bait. Very little drift speed and no flatties. Did some "trolling" but no luck. I heard someone was catching them near 42. Hope they had better success than we did.

Tried the bell buoy from around 5 until dark for spades got a few around 3-5 pounds, but they spent most of the time sucking hooks dry. Small fish made up the group. Hot day!

Next trip may be closer to the CBBT if it doesn't pick up a bit.

Sam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tks Sam-didnt want to hear that-seems like not much has changed. It's like the haves and the have nots down there with nothing in between.

Mac

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was down there fishing with capt. dave from this site. It was sick - a giant parking lot full of boats.

Here's our tally for the day:

1 23" flounder
2 croaker - 1 was around 18"
3 toadfish
1 shark of unknown species - around 15lbs and set of jaws like no tomorrow.

Didn't see too many other people catching flatties either, but between the croakers and the one flounder, had enough fish to feed 7 people (and the burgers that accompanied the fish).

Capt. Dave did all one could ask of a charter skipper - the fish didn't feel like biting, that's all. I think I did catch at least 50 pounds of assorted seaweed however.

·
Registered
336 Posts
"........it was sick." What a bad attitude. I suggest you get another hobby or something or learn to be patient and enjoy the beauty of the bay on a nice day as it was. If you were catching seaweed, you should have moved east to get out of it. Flounder lay in groups and you have to look for them. Once the bottom gets pounded by thousands of sinkers, the fish get spooked and you have to get creative and move to where there are fewer boats. Yes, there were lots of people, but your NN reef gets overcrowded too. I have found the more I am concerned / pressured about catching fish the fewer I catch. Reelax and don't feel "sick" about recreational activity on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay - geez. Work makes me "sick", not boating/fishing/enjoying a day on the water....aye...aye.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry, but seeing over 100 boats concentrated on a piece of water that might be 2 square miles large falls under my definition of sick. Now, I understand that people go where the fish are, so that's understandable.

But I have never in 20 years plus of fishing on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans - never have I seen so many fishermen/boats on such a small piece of real estate.

I was surprised there was a single fish to be caught, to be truthful. God knows there was enough bait in the water.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man, you better stay away from the Cell during Rock Season, or you may have an anxiety attack. I was there last year during Deltaville's 400 boat tourney, and I lost count of the boats after counting 200. Incidentially, it was my first time (serious) rock-fishing in years, and we caught 3 man limits each day, with one that weighed @ 40 lbs.

What is "sick" was some of the etiquette exhibited by some of the fishermen and their trolling manners. I guess until they require everyone to have a boat operating license when they purchase a boat, we will have to deal with woodheads.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ketner,

Well, it was first trip down to the Cell for me. I'm not much of a rockfisherman, but thanks for the heads up. I live up in Maryland and like to chase after breaking fish with light tackle.

I thought the etiquette was pretty good on Saturday to be honest. Didn't see any idiocy or hear of any over the radio. That's to be commended with so many boats on the water in such a small space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts