Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I got a coupla questions for the center console boat owners that have added a canvas enclosure.

How has it effected your fishing?
Do you fish more days that ya used to without it?
If you do. Is it cause ya fishlonger into the cold weather season or its because dryer in rain or ruff seas?
Do you use a Mr. Buddie heater or something similar?
Is it a pain in the butt to deal with put'n up and down?
Do you think it was worth it.
Does it get in your way when your fishing?
Is it easy to put up. How much space does it take up for storage on the boat.
How long does it take to put up at the ramp when your get'n readt to luanch or come out? I'm guess'n ya'll don't travel with any of it on the boat.
Are ya satisfy'd with it.
How big is your boat and the make n model?
And bout what did it cost ya?
If ya wana add where ya got it made and by who, all the better but ya don't have too.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Gerald- MartinM just had his done... if he doesnt reply to this, send him a PM... Im sure that he will give you his impression on the enclosure.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Can't tell you the final results but mine is at the shop being fabricated as right now. Looked around and finally chose Custom Canvas on Kent Island on a tip from another TF'er who just got his done recently. Stephanie at Custom Canvas couldn't be any nicer to deal with and the price was almost half of some quotes I got. I'm sure others will chime in. I plan on leaving mine on during colder months. Not going to take it on and off. I just got a phone booth type to protect me while running. With the small CC I have and the run and gun style I do I wouldn't want one around the whole T-Top. I'll let you know how mine turns out. Supposed to pick it up next week.

Andy

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Hey G-Man...
The first photo is the canvas that I had on my Parker 21SE...man that thing was so warm it was amazing...got the idea from walleye Pete...only problem was it was a pain to fish in...I'm 6'3 so getting thru the front curtains was also a pain at times....
But the upside is there were Many many days that I would not have gone if not for those curtains....other down side was on windy days it acted like a sail......
The 2nd photo is my Parker 23SE this curtain came with the boat....it is perfect for what I do...gives me enough protection from the elements to hide behind while running but doesn't get in the way when fishing...
My first curtains were down by Jack at Boat canvas Inc and he stands behind his work and it's top notch....410-827-7474
BTW NO heater on my boat....
As far as price they were included in the sale..
I actually have the curtains from my 21SE in my boathouse...may use them when these need replacing....
Hope this helps....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I just got some really nice canvas done by Creative Canvas in Solomons. It's basically a spray shield with sides and two "gull wings" that deploy out for running and then can be connected to my leaning post set base when trolling. We broke in the setup yesterday and I have to say that it made a WORLD of a difference when running at 36 knots in 25 degree weather. I can email you pics some time next week. To answer your questions sepcifically

How has it effected your fishing? It hasn't.

Do you fish more days that ya used to without it? I think I wuold still fish those days, but would be a hell of a lot more miserable

Do you use a Mr. Buddie heater or something similar? No. I think that unless you have something that fully encloses or at least gives you a 3-way enclosure, that's somewhat pointless.

Is it a pain in the butt to deal with put'n up and down? I haven't tried yet, but it's basically just snaps. I'm sure it would be a real pain in the cold.

Do you think it was worth it. 100%

Does it get in your way when your fishing? Not at all. My fishing buddies who sit around eating donuts and falling asleep get in the way more than anything

Is it easy to put up. How much space does it take up for storage on the boat. Don't know yet

How long does it take to put up at the ramp when your get'n readt to luanch or come out? See above

I'm guess'n ya'll don't travel with any of it on the boat. My goal is to just put it up in November and not take it off until late March/early April

Are ya satisfy'd with it. So far, YES!

How big is your boat and the make n model? Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser 2400 (24')

And bout what did it cost ya? $3,000--all top of the line material

If ya wana add where ya got it made and by who, all the better but ya don't have too. Creative Canvas in Solomons, MD. Ask for Steve.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
"My fishing buddies who sit around eating donuts and falling asleep get in the way more than anything".:roflguy::hysterical::roflguy::hysterical::D That's hilarious ! I wonder who those guys are ?:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Gerald I have a 24.4 Bimini Marine center.
My enclosure was Custom made by Mike [email protected] canvas experts OC MD
Ive had it just over a year and its strataglass. I keep the boat in oc in the summer and annapolis fall and winter.
I got it so i could fish in any weather and not get wet.
It is definately worth it, it makes the boat feel totally differant. Mine is very tight and i leave it up all the time
even on the trailer no problem, i just stay under 55 when tralerin...
It would be east to take down but even in the summer i leave it up when running early morning offshore trips
and roll it up when i get to the canyon.
it makes a big differance to have no wind blowing on you even when its warm.
As far as winter, no problem, even when its raining we troll and stay pretty dry!

Mine was over 2500 with a custom console cover but my brother who is a boat builder(Bimini Marine)
got me a discount.

I says go for it and fish longer!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I went the CHEAP route ....

Here's my attempt at a low buck guard ....

It's a modified Bass Pro Splash Guard - not pretty but it works.

Think I got a little less than $500 in it.

PS - Buy my boat - see classifieds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
canvas

call jack at boat covers inc. in grasonsville 410-827-7474. in business 50 + yrs. most guides use him. tell him i said to call and it will help in a multitude of ways....your place in line etc. be warned, jack can talk. take your ideas and meet him at the shop. best in the business.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi G-Man.

How has it effected your fishing? I have the plastic windows tight around the center console (front and both sides). I then have a drop down on each side that I only use in cold wx (they are removable). even then I only use them to run while cold. I then roll them up out of the way when feeshin.

Do you fish more days that ya used to without it? yes.
If you do. Is it cause ya fishlonger into the cold weather season or its because dryer in rain or ruff seas? I try not to go in rain/ruff seas. as you know, cold wx is the ticket to some biguns.
Do you use a Mr. Buddie heater or something similar? No I don't. I like fresh air.
Is it a pain in the butt to deal with put'n up and down? Not at all.
Do you think it was worth it. absolutely
Does it get in your way when your fishing? the extra side curtains I hit my head on sometimes (when rolled up). you won't have that problem (;-))
Is it easy to put up. How much space does it take up for storage on the boat. the extra sides slide on and off. I just use them in the winter.
How long does it take to put up at the ramp when your get'n readt to luanch or come out? I'm guess'n ya'll don't travel with any of it on the boat.
Are ya satisfy'd with it. yes
How big is your boat and the make n model? 25 foot world cat cc
And bout what did it cost ya? I got the extened 2 sides (snaps to gunnels and floor) and the curtains around the console and canvas to cover the seat and center colsole 9 yrs ago, so sure price is outdates.
If ya wana add where ya got it made and by who, all the better but ya don't have too. as capt jd said, Jack is one of the best.

Good luck G-Man.:D
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a dual console Grady that has a custom hard top and wrap-around canvas. The hardtop and canvas make the boat much more fishable. But there are some things to think about. First leaving it up all winter is not without risk. When it becomes very cold the windows become brittle...wind broke one once, I broke one trying to unzip the smiley face that gives me access to an outrigger. $$$$ Boat handling changes some...because of the size of mine, quite a lot at low speeds when trying to dock. The more people watching, the more it affects it. My autopilot will normally hold my boat at rockfish trolling speeds, but not if there is a cross breeze with the sides up. Then there are maintenance costs. The bigger the canvas the more stress wind puts on the fasteners. I've got a lot invested in repairs, despite the fact that the original is of the highest quality materials. Finally, I took my down for repairs in October and there is no way I'll get it back up in the cold winter. I'm lucky to get the small front windows rigged. (If I had been able to get to the boat yesterday, I would have had a shot.) But all said, I would do it over again ( or buy a pilot cabin boat) because it creates a little seven foot square room protected from the elements where you leave equipment and lunch etc without wind and water getting at it. It will keep you a bit warmer too, but Artic Armour is better at that.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On aspect I never thought about was the wind and the enclosure acting as a sail. So far I think the advantages out weight the negatives. I know Walleye Pete told me it doubled his fishing days on the flats. Seems the low temps of winter could be a factor in its lifespan, like when in its just too cold to use it without damaging it.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Gerald, I don't know if it ever gets too cold to damage it. Mike uses his for fishing, as long as the water isn't frozen. He also uses his boat for duck hunting on the flats.

As far as he is concerned, it is never too cold.

Ele

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Gerald

We went to CBBT last year. It felt fairly warm onshore so we didn't put the curtains on ......... BIG mistake !!!!!!!! 40 something temps at 30 mph and 1/2 hour runs mixed with a little spray is not the most comfortable ride.

The next morning we put the enclosure on (10 - 15 minutes including the fumbling) ......... made a world of difference ........... breaks the wind and spray and you stay comfortable.

Have an 18ft CC ....... and it is not in the way at all ........ also have a heater that has never been used ....... still in the box ......... haven't needed it

Don't know the cost because it came w/my T Top. Won't go out again without it if I can help it.

Just my opinion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts