1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
I purchased a Century Bay Boat recently with an upgraded motor from a Yami 115 fs to a Yami 150 Fs... It has 2 batteries and a Battery switch to use 3 position Batt A Batt B or Both. After a Good Charge on the Batt I get a Weak Start from Position A and B but in the Both Postition it is much Stronger .... What read on please... Once I unload the boat at the ramp and get it started I run a few miles stop and turn off the motor in any one of those Battery Position it will not crank over, almost seems as if its a Bad or weak battery
... After about 30-50 minutes the Motor cranks over in the Both position but will still not crank in the individual batt position A or B .. Both batteries were pulled and tested ok bye Exide

Seems when the motor is Hot is when this seems to be at its worse...Anyone have any similar Yamaha Issues???? I am desperatly looking for help..This is now a safty issue
as i can't even take it out anymore

Jay

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
If both batteries test good it sounds like they do not have the capacity for your motor. Are they group 24 or 27? What is the MCA rating? Look at your manual and compare what Yamaha recommends as a minimum MCA an see if the batteries are enough. Also another remote possibility could be that the tech who wired the switch did not use a large enough guage wire.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Did you use the original battery cables from the switch to the engine or did they install new ones? Older cables in a salt environment become degraded. I have had the same problem on the boats at work running 90 hp Yami two strokes.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I would check the voltage drop from the batts to the starter. If the drop is more than 1-volt I would upgrade the cable to something larger. The common component to both batts is the cable running from the batts to the engine. Check the ground leads - voltage to the starter is no good if there's a bad ground connection. If the electrical is ok, check the starter - you'll need a manual to find the correct winding resistance to measure.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all

I have had the battery tested and the are ok, The CCA on the Batteries is 900 MCA is 1000
Its weird that this only happens when its hot, Also this is a New boat , its has been in the water only 3 times. What ever it is it came from the factory with this problem ...
The size of the Cables could be an issue they are 4ga not sure if they chould 1 GA or not.
I have checked all the connection from the motor to the batteries thru the switch .
WHat ever it is I believe it has something to do with switching or upgrading the Motor from a 115 to 150. Wiring Harness to small is a possibility...

Maybe the starter is defective or maybe the altanator. Looking at the Yamaha Instrument panel when turning the key after warming up it Blanks out the panel , let go of the key and power to the panel comes right back. Batteries on the panel measure 13.4 volt in all positions. Something is holding down the crank and its drivin me nuts....

Wow can you say $27 yard ornament...

I am at the end of my ROpe on this deal. Don't want to Blast Century But they are owned by Yamaha. Boat performs great WHEN IT RUNS

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If the problem is only around when the engine is hot there's probably a heat soak issue with the starter or engine controller. Have you checked starting voltage at the starter when warm/hot? You need to isolate the problem to the console or engine. Wire size doesn't change based on hp. You didn't say if the panel blanks out when starting cold. Some starting circuits disable all circuits during starting to get the most juice to the starter. Since this is a new boat you're best bet is to take it to the dealer or kiss your warranty goodbye.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you contacted you Century dealer? This appears to be a boat problem and not a Yamaha problem. Your battery needs to have 182 minutes of reserve capacity. Most 24 size batteries don't have that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
With it being a new boat I would not try and figure it out yourself, unless you have worked on outboards before. I would call and complain to the dealer and tell them that you want it fixed ASAP. And if they don't comply then just call or write a letter to Century themselves and I'll bet they will be happy to get it fixed for you. Had a buddy that bought a Seaswirl from Riverside last year, they screwed a bunch of stuff up. He called Seaswirl and they had everything fixed in 3 days. Just gotta b!tch to the right people.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, Looks like I needed 1 ga wiring and Factory installed 4Ga as soon as I replaced them the Starter took off ... I thought we would fly away. Put the 4 ga back on and the Problem returned. The 4 ga wires were starving the battery that the Battery Switch pos was in. If I had it in the Both Position it would drain them and cause the no start for 30 minutes or so after a long run. Not sure if anyone out there needs Yamaha Service But Boatel California MD were awesome with their troubleshooting techniques

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts