Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is some kind of recipe where raw fish is 'cooked' using citrus juices. I do not know if certain species of fish are better suited for it, or if any can be used with good results. :help:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here it comes. We knew this was going to happen. You made a CHOICE yesterday to not go fishing. I filled in for you by fishing with Corker yesterday - at considerable sacrifice to my other social commitments. I can't tell you how much time I have spent filing out and signing citation forms this morning. You owe me. I would say this petty jealousy is beneath you but I know better. :hysterical:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Personally, I would never use a freshwater species in ceviche or sushi. There are parasites and other creepy crawlies in the meat of freshwater fish that can transmit to humans. You can't trust the acid in citrus juice to kill them all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have some Yankee fiends who fix it, they say it's excellent. It did not impress me when I tried it. Sushi is not for me either.

If I touch Dayton will I get warts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm with doodlem cept for the sushi .....love me some sushi .....I am sure when I tried it shrimp was used....house autry ya best bet for slabs.. or braise em down let em cool and make fish cakes..:chef:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dat's right SN, House of Autry the best! We also have a recipe for skrimp it's called Lulu's creole seasoning. We use it on fish, crab legs, skrimp. We use House of Autry on the sea scallops. Dat Lulu's cookbook has some good recipes!:chef:

·
Registered
370 Posts
My wife is from South America where the ceviche is the best. You don't have to cure the fish in citrus. This method does work. The acid in the citrus juices cooks the fish chemically, but it can be a bit sketchy if you're not using the freshest fish, or are using something that you are not sure of like freshwater fish. A good white-meat fish, saltwater or not, should work fine. Cut the fish in thin strips and boil it for a few minutes in water. It only takes a few minutes. When the fish is cooked, strain out the water and cool it. Now, look up a good Colombian ceviche recipe if you like a cocktail type dish with lots of fresh sauce. Colombian ceviche is more of a cocktail. If you like something more like a salad, you might like a Peruvian ceviche. If you like it really dry, try a Mexican ceviche. I recommend the Colombian, but the Peruvian is good too. Enjoy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
dang, man. i ate a little pinch of a crappie filet yesterday afternoon, and in my mind, there's nothing sketchy about it, so long as it's plenty fresh. it was mild and tasty. if i had more, i'd boil some rice, pour our some soy sauce, and go to work--sushi style!

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--3523/tilapia-ceviche.asp

this recipe is for use with tilapia, but i'm sure crappie would be no different. go for it, dude. let us know if it's tasty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here's a definative answer. No, you should not use crappie for ceviche without cooking it first. I came across this looking for information on Cod worms.

"Freshwater perch, trout, and salmon (that spend part of their life in freshwater), may carry the tapeworm larvae of Diphyllobothrium. These worms are grey-white, with a soft flabby appearance. Worm parasites only cause health problems when inadequately prepared fish are eaten (proper freezing and normal cooking kill the worms). The worms are not passed from person to person. ...avoid eating raw or lightly marinated seafood (i.e., sushi, ceviche, cold smoked fish products) unless the fish has been properly frozen. Even though salt curing and/or pickling processes do have a partial killing effect on parasitic worms, their destruction is often not complete and is not adequate for parasite control." BCCDC.

http://www.bccdc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/F1...6DA9CDC0070/0/IllnessCausingFishParasites.pdf

I'd most definitely call perch sketchy if eaten this way.

Henri

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I remember a documentary some years ago. There were actually 3 tables and a total of 15 commandments. One tablet got broken and was forgotten. I think Commandment #13 was something like "Thow shalt eat not fish that hath not been fried deeply" And the Bush said-ith, If'n thine smokith or blacken, then thustly, thow hasith committed a sin-ith.

I know Gregory Hines was in the documentary. It was very well done.

Dayton

·
Registered
268 Posts
I remember a documentary some years ago. There were actually 3 tables and a total of 15 commandments. One tablet got broken and was forgotten. I think Commandment #13 was something like "Thow shalt eat not fish that hath not been fried deeply" And the Bush said-ith, If'n thine smokith or blacken, then thustly, thow hasith committed a sin-ith.

I know Gregory Hines was in the documentary. It was very well done.

Dayton
wait just a minute... you're telling me that we're not supposed to do the stuff on them tablets?! note to self: pay more attention in sunday school. dang, time to rethink some life decisions...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts