Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
It amazes me the amount of folks on the water that have no buisness......Breaking down in a boat is not like breaking down in a car where you can just pull over. You need to have plans and then back-up plans for all situations that can happen on the water.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Heh heh.... I heard about a guy who forgot his cell phone and ran his batteries down so his radio didn't work so he had to get out on the pilings and push from one to the other to get to shore and walk home to get a battery. Yup, there's some real idgits out there! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm not surprised one bit, in my 38 years on the bay and 25 years in the boat business I see more of these type of people(idiots) than I need to.

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
Any one can break down on the water .............but not knowing where you are is strange. Even before I had the Loran on my boat years ago, I always knew where I was........not within 50' but enough to get help to me. Hard lesson for him.....Gary

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Good practice for the Coastie's and a good lesson for the boater's. Plus there was no one hurt. It's a win/win.

-JB

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
"The boat captain did not know how to use his radio, had no charts, and was simply lucky his cell phone worked".

You gotta be kidding....what an idiot.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
"The boat captain did not know how to use his radio, had no charts, and was simply lucky his cell phone worked".

You gotta be kidding....what an idiot.
I'm not surprised actually. There is a huge number of people that only use their boat once or twice per year, some even less frequently than that. Hell, many of the boats in my boat lot are winterized already, and some I have NEVER seen moved. So for this guy to be totally unprepared doesn't surprize me at all.

-JB

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You're gonna take passengers for a joy-ride on a 26 ft boat at nite with 20 knot winds and 2-3 ft seas....and your're woefully unprepared?
The fool should be brought up on charges for reckless endangerment.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How do you not know how to use the radio? I know its very complicated, push to key the mic. WOW. More proof for Darwins survival of the fittest.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Safety Lessons

Earlier this summer I taught my 8 y/o boys how to but the boat in neutral and call for help on the radio in the event I went overboard. I also taught them the key landmarks in the area to be able to give a basic idea of our boat location. Some mistakes you don't get a second chance at.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i agree with an earlier post. the crew was green (they didn't know the captn was clueless, were not dressed properly and sounds like they are easily seasick) and to take them out at night shows the captn had no clue what he was doing. i guess he didn't know it was blowin 20k since he couldn't use his radio and couldn't get a report and it probably wasn't windy in kent narrows. the captn and crew got off light, it could have been so much worse. thank God.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ive been in some sticky situations out there... Ive lost all electronics, all lights, and was in the middle of a rainstorm at night all at one time- it was so dark, I couldnt even read my compass without a flashlight (which ruined my night vision), but I always had the ability to know where I was, and could hail help. Im not going to go name calling, however, I think that they made a lot of mistakes. I am glad that nobody was hurt- may this serve as a lesson to some, and a reminder to others. I know that I am not diligent with filing float plans with folks, (although, I normally tell the wife the area that I will be in)... maybe this story will help me remember to give a little better info before heading out on my next outing....

·
Registered
531 Posts
i agree with an earlier post. the crew was green (they didn't know the captn was clueless, were not dressed properly and sounds like they are easily seasick) and to take them out at night shows the captn had no clue what he was doing. i guess he didn't know it was blowin 20k since he couldn't use his radio and couldn't get a report and it probably wasn't windy in kent narrows. the captn and crew got off light, it could have been so much worse. thank God.
A few hours at the RED EYE could cause this.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A few hours at the RED EYE could cause this.
--And If it Did , Charges should be filed, & the cost be Recovered --

--As to not knowing Radio operation , Whats New --The Cell phone gives the World a Excuse to not need to know Anything about Anything --

---The Loss of the Chain of Bouys on both side of the bay in the early 80's has proven that as projected ,it's Loss would create a additionl burden when it came to Search & Rescue
--

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is why everyone should have to have a license to operate a boat and complete a required safety course.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts