Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My time on the water has been and will continue to be very limited for a while with five month old twin boys at home in addition to their older brother. Needless to say, when I do find the time to get out, I want to make it worth while!

My noble pursuit for the spring is to get into some Potomac stripers at CB. Most of my fishing in DC water has been at Fletchers from a rowboat. I'd like to simply be able to dump the car in the lot near CB and walk on down to the river. Here's what I'm thinking as far as set up and tactics. Can you let me know if I'm headed in the right direction or give me pointers otherwise?

- 6 weight with sink tip line, although I also can go to an 8 wt. with shooting head or sinking line

- Chartreuse/white Clousers (what length is good?) as fly of choice

- Fishing in low light, probably pre-dawn or on a dark, rainy day

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. This warm up later this week should have us pointed in the right direction soon!!!

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
668 Posts
Go with a fast full sink. Your catch rate will be 3 to 4 times better than that of a sink tip, especially at CB. Fletchers too.

Don't expect to catch any of the big early season stripers on fly but you never know. If you want, tie a shad fly as a dropper to the striper fly and that way you will get some action with at least one species.

The smaller staging fish come in later and are very accessible on fly.

You have everything else right.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've thought about doing that but have not tried it. I think in order to interest one of this big early season fish you'd need more than your standard clouser. I think a big profile fly would be the ticket. Maybe something like these...

I think some people catch them on live white perch so if you have a good white perch imitation that might work.

I'm guessing you'd have to get it to the bottom and keep it there as long as possible, which isn't necessarily an issue. To me, the issue would be losing a bunch of not cheap flies to the rocks and junk on the bottom.

I still think it's worth the effort to try it though, I just haven't been able to make it work. I think your odds would be better from a boat but it could probably be done from the rocks at CB.

If you try it let us know how you do. David

·
Registered
885 Posts
Herring is the best "live" bait and it works as cut bait. Those big stripers up there are deep and you will lose flies just like I lose jigs and bait rigs.

Ernie

·
Registered
885 Posts
YES,....we have! White or chartruse 2-3 oz jigs bounced on the bottom. Be prepared to lose a bunch but OH WHAT FUN!

Ernie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go with a fast full sink. Your catch rate will be 3 to 4 times better than that of a sink tip, especially at CB. Fletchers too.

Don't expect to catch any of the big early season stripers on fly but you never know. If you want, tie a shad fly as a dropper to the striper fly and that way you will get some action with at least one species.

The smaller staging fish come in later and are very accessible on fly.

You have everything else right.
When do the staging fish start arriving and how long do they stay? Those are probably much more accessible for my skill level. Knowing the rocks and the challenges of casting in that area, the big mommas are probably out of my league.

Thanks for the info,

Dave

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dave:

Altho I've seen them caught from boats at Fletcher's in April, the stripers I've caught from the Chain Bridge rocks were during May. Some are still around in June, at least some years. Yes, I agree you have right approach, especially with a full sinking line or shooting head. And yes, be careful out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your outfit sounds right. Majority of my stripers last year (from April through August) at CB were on 2 to 3 inch (size 2 to 1/0) chartreuse/white clousers. A couple on all black or black/white clousers and during a bright afternoon, one on an all black crystal bugger (size 1). It's only a few days from time to start working that body of water.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never caught a striper at CB, but then again I've never thrown anything but shad flies there. Do you just want to throw clousers to the same spots you'd throw shad flies--i.e., down deep in the main current? Or are the stripers gonna be near the dropoffs closer to the banks? I've never done much striper fishing to begin with.

dj

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's definitely a low-light thing, too. Dawn or dusk or full-darkness you'll do best BY FAR, although you may pick up the ocassional schoolie in day time, the big-uns are dark-loving.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dave,

SImiliar techniques as shad but use bigger flies. They come in later, typically at the end and after shad season. TOMC has it right on time of day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts