Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello tf'ers

I currently have 10 rods strung up with ANDES 40lb mono. I have about 10-15 trips from last year on the line. My question is, should I redo all with new? I like to think i take good care of my equipment. after every trip i hose off the entire rod and all of my lures. I would hate the thought of loosing BUBBA, because the line was not up to it's standards. Thought's?

·
Registered
858 Posts
As a rule I change out all of my line every year (gives me something to do in the winter) and the amount of money a bulk spool costs is negligible enough to give you the peace of mind. 10-15 trips in salt water will probably have some degradation of the strength, especially with mono.

I'll even change out my braid each year, clean everything well and start fresh for the season.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
mono gets changed every year whether it looks like it needs it or not
the sun and the very water you clean it with eventually cause the line to breakdown over time.
i change my braid every other year...UNLESS...i see some discoloration, nicks or fraying.
if i do find damage i will usually get to good line by removing the top 50' or so.
if it is more than 50' i change it all.

when in doubt....change it out!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I change all mono and wire each year as part of the winter maintenance. Every other year for braid unless it looks bad. As others have said, small cost for peace of mind.
John

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
here's a question about bulk line

here is a question i have....
how long does mono line "keep" on bulk spools? (figuring on cool, dry, low light storage)
i find that the line looks OK but has tremendous memory and i usually end up tossing about half of the line on my bulk spools because it won't go on or stay on the spools correctly.
i've started to buy "filler" spools but they are expensive and i'd like to be able to go back to my bulk line.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
If it's mono it gets replaced every year. Braid is reverse spooled then disgaurded the 3rd yr.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
In the Ande knot booklet-there is a photo of a 100lb sailfish caught on Ande line that is something like 20 yrs old.Give the line a real good look over-if you see/feel anything bad -replace it.Very few fisherman can put more then about 15lbs of pressure on a rod.Hook your line to a scale and try it.Most fish are lost at the boat/ leader breaks/ knot fails.Very few lost to the line breaking unless you get spooled.Changing line after 15 trips is not required. Skip

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Line is one of the cheapest things in your arsenal between the jerks at either end.

We get a jerk on one end, and maybe it's a fish of a lifetime. We lose that fish because of the line, and we're the jerk on the other end.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Change it for sure.....I change my braid 3 times per year depending on how it looks...that is after I reverse it.........:wacko:

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Since it is obviously a concern to you I would change it out if for no other reason than piece of mind.

Look at this way. If you loose a fish of a life time on the new line, you are going to be bummed out, no doubt. If you loose a fish of a life time on the old line you are probably going to have to be put on suicide watch.:pp

I change mine out a minimum of once a year. I change out the line I use for Speckled Trout, Puppy Drum, etc; after every 4 or 5 outings. It is cheap insurance.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your suppose to change line??

I normally do it every year or so with rods I use alot in salt. Mostly its because I want to try a new line and not from lack of trust. I only use mono. I have some of my ultra light freshwater reels that have been spooled for years now and used quite often it doesnt even cross my mind to change it. Why? Becuase it still performs. When I notice wear or fatigued line I would change it but other than I dont bother with it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sorry but I have great faith in Ande mono consistency, UV resistance, etc. I'll pull off several yards that might be nicked, etc but otherwise it's no more often than every other year and I have some 320s in my trolling stash that are at 4-5 years although that may be a push. I'll get struck by lightning for this one but no break offs yet except where I was too lazy to pull off those few leading yards that get nicked and scraped.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I got about 10 trolling trips in last year too, and I'm not changing my lines. Its a waste of line and of money. Strip the top 50' off the reel and toss it, since that was the most-exposed part to sun/salt, and continue to use the remaining 550' for this year, and maybe the next.

10 half-days of trolling aren't going to degrade your line.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
The original poster mentioned a concern for line which wasn't up to its standards.

Other factors, beyond the line's limited use, could also be its worst enemies.

Sorry, but I fail to see how spending pennies/yard for frequently respooling is a waste of time and money, especially when we consider that that line is such an important connection between us and that fish on the other end.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think we are forgetting the obvious. Does it look frayed, chaffed, opaque, brittle, "puffy"? If so it needs to be changed if it looks and feels like good line should then leave it alone. Line should be the least of anyones worries. Think about how your going to get there and back safely and reliably. Are the reels ready to go?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Hey, do what you want, but understand that a lot of the people that are recommending you change your line once/year (or more) actually fish 100-200 days per year. It probably isn't a waste for them. But from their advice, you'd need to respool every reel every year even if it was used once. Which, unless your reel sat in the sun and/or in a bucket of seawater for the other 364 days, is a waste. :wacko:

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
uncljohn,
You make some good points.

In my case many of my reels get a lot of use. I like to to get that line off at the end of the season if for no other reason than to give the reels a good cleaning.

I wash my rods reels with soap and water and and rub them down with silicone lubricant after every use.

Even using a fine mist of water the salt will still eventually work its way down to the spool and can cause corrosion on my metal spools. So In my case I would rather strip the line and give them a thorough cleaning before storing them.

Dennis:))

1 - 20 of 25 Posts