Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
piece of cake:yes:took every bit of 15 minutes...first time its ever been changed....figure it was time...all filters are new and ready for action...problably gonna try Ruddee next weekend....Changing the VST is pretty easy and after talking with Andy down at Cathers, hes seeing more problems coming in with that being an issue...i strongly reccommend getting that done:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
FWIW: This past month I've learned a lot about Yamaha motors.

The main filter in the boat-spin on 10 micron- should be changed about every 50 hours.Yeah,they are $20.00 but cheap insurance.

The second filter located in a clear bowl on the motor should be changed at 100 hours.

The VST at 250-300 hours.

There is an inline filter that should be changed about 400 hours.

The injectors should be cleaned around 1,000 hours or if you have had trouble with the VST clogging.It costs roughly $60.00 each to be cleaned and takes about 10 days (shipping time).New injectors are about $350.00 EACH :eek2::eek2:.

Yamaha filters do a good job protecting the injectors as long as they are changed on time.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
The VST is a very fine screen.I think around 5 microns.

The big trouble is the E-10 fuel breaking off crud from the gas trucks/fuel tanks/ and our boat tanks.The main filter being 10 micron catches most and then the next filter should get more.The next filter is the VST - it was designed BEFORE E -10 was around.

Not sure if sea foam would help on not ??????

Best advice is to change the filters regulary.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vst is super fine....before i changed it i was having trouble with performance.....hooked up a pony tank with sea foam and it helped a great deal....... like skip said....clean your injectors....it seemed to help my injectors but that is definately the next thing in line for me.....having my injectors cleaned.....motor runs great but ther aint nothing like keeping her up:yes:Vst is also very easy to change....dont let it scare you:thumbup: piece of cake....if your anywhere near mechanicsville ...send me a b-mail and i will be glad to give you a hand....a mechanic is definately more expensive....wouldnt hurt to do it yourself..filter is 58 bucks at Cathers marina..my help is free:yes::yes::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
:thumbup:Hey guys. I have a 2006 Yamaha 4 stroke 150. I have 480 hrs on the motor. I change the oil 2 times a year. I change my water separator filter 2 times a year. I change my lower unit oil 2 times a year. I average @ 150 hrs per fishing season.

I have read many post on here about servicing Yamaha outboards but most problems you guys are having are with 2 strokes??

I contacted Chris @ Beacon Light Marina and asked him about services. He told me that I have a major service due @ 500 hrs? Je said they replace the water pump and alot of other things that I dont think would need to be done?

I need some advice? What services do you think need to be done? I have listed above what I have done since I owned the motor. I can say that I have not had 1 issue yet with this motor, I love it.

If I do need some service done @ 500 hours, what is it? I would like to get it done before I take the boat down to Herrington Harbour South for the Spring Trophy season. I do have it scheduled for its regular maintenance next month/ oil change/ new water separator/new lower unit oil.

Please help? I'm not a mechanical person at all and dont want to do work that does not need to be done?

Thanks

Phil(lily)

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Lily - water pumps should be changed every 2-3 years.Be sure the mechanic also does the seals - not just the impellor.Now is the best time to have rountine maintance done - before the spring rush.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
:roflguy:dam it Twisk.....you gonna make me do it aint ya...............NO:hysterical::hysterical:bald means your hair is falling out...not mine:D:D
My hair isnt falling out Charlie.... I choose to be bald. Actually- Im just really lazy, and its easy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts