Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still waiting for boat so went all the way back to my Maryland roots (30+ years) and went after smallies on the upper Potomac (above Harper's Ferry). Great day on the water with several fish and this guy (18+") was really special. Even the little guys hit like freight trains. Great time. Maybe i should have built a jet boat! Caught a few channel cats on a small crankbait!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice fish Steve, I have never caught a small-mouth. Back in the 80s fishing ponds from shore I've caught many large-mouths. One day this year I'll go on my son's reservoir boat and target smallies. Thanks for the post.

Mike

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, definitely not "lifetime" best but I just realized you can't edit anymore?? I don't see a way to do it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Beautiful fish. I used to love fishing conowing for them when I was young. 4” chartreuse twister was the ticket for me

·
Registered
364 Posts
Back in the 80s the upper Susquehanna had tremendous smallmouth fishing but then it went downhill. The past couple of years it has come back.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Steve,
after posting your comments you can click on your post and at the bottom you have the ability to edit.

Mike

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Steve, that is a good size small mouth. and good picture. Do you catch many that size on the upper Potomac ? I know you can catch them that size on the Susquehanna River where I use to fish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As information B&O RR trainmen brought smallmouth bass to the Potomac River many moons ago. They are not native to the river.
That’s a really nice smallmouth for Md.
Hurricane Agnes flushed out the Patapsco River. It is a good smallmouth River these days and close to home.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve, that is a good size small mouth. and good picture. Do you catch many that size on the upper Potomac ? I know you can catch them that size on the Susquehanna River where I use to fish.
Thanks Andy. Well I haven't fished the area for maybe 20-25 years! It really went downhill according to friends because of May storms washing out the beds but a couple of years ago they did a bit of stocking and it's coming back some.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I like fishing the Susky just upriver from Harrisburg. That area is my favorite for SMBass. But times there over the past couple of year has been a bit lean indeed. The section I fish t\it seems like nice sized fish outnumber the juveniles. And that is not a good sign for the future. So far this spring and early summer the Susky has been behaving itself and did not flood hardly at all. Maybe we’ll have a good hatch throughout the River. We shall see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Used to wet-wade upper Potomac back in early-mid 80's for fun ultra-light smallies. Also loved the Prettyboy, liberty, Loch Raven watersheds (in that order) back in 60's- 70's) Also, loved the Peachbottom area in wintertime!(y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts