Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the standard yamaha throttle/trim control and want to change it.i don't like the yamaha control because i can't rev the motor in neutral.sometimes the motor needs a little rpm in the morning to get her warmed up.with the setup now the motor will stall a few times before it will idle.
is it difficult to switch out? i was hoping i could get a setup that will switch right over.
any suggestions on what control to buy?

snapper

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've never seen a control where you cannot rev the engin. Are you sure its not a pull out throttle. Some controls if you grab at the base will pull out allowing you to move the throttle without putting the engin in gear,

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If its a mid-80's or later Yamaha control box, then there should be a rubber stopper at the base of the throttle about the size of a silver dollar that you push in to put it neutral, then you can throttle up and rev it out of gear.

Of course, your stopper could be missing or the button not working.....

I had an old Whaler w/ Johnson's on it where that controller you pulled the actual throttle arm out to disengage the gears, as was mentioned before. But the Yamaha controllers Ive seen had the rubber button to push.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
If you can't rev the motor in neutral
a: its broke
b:you are not using correctly

all the yamaha controls have the ability to increase the rpm's in neutral

1 - 4 of 4 Posts