Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put away small lures and add bigger lures to my tackle bag for big stripers. I always carry big hard lures. I know bluefish will be still there this weekend, though I am bringing big soft lures for jigging and trolling for stripers in the main body of the upper/mid Chesapeake Bay. How about you guys? I am still planning to catch some spots for live-lining for less than 1 hour. Live lining is a whole lot easier than trolling. Let us know of your plans and lure selections for the remaining season.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a Stretch 25 that I plan to put to use, but other than that, I don't really change my gear much. However, I don't seem to fish the Bay much after the beginning of November in the past for various reasons, one of which is that I usually start targeting pickerel. Hopefully, I'll be able to explore the Bay more this winter.

I also have a 2 or 3oz parachute that I tried a bit last year, but I didn't have any luck with it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you are only fishing till nov then you are missing out on big stiper action on lures. Thats when they are starting to hit anything that swims. As for lure selections i would try the stretch imitators as they look better and i have found they catch more fish for some reason. Also, 6-8" storms are great for the bridge pilings. You cant go wrong with a good ol fashion jig head with a plastic.

tight lines

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Joe--In previous years, I fished for pickerels in Spa Creek near Annapolis and a little in the Severn, which Spa Creek flows into.

Here's the launch at Spa Creek:

truxtun park loc: Annapolis, MD - Google Maps

The salinity was pretty high up there last year (or the year before? :confused:) , so I didn't have much luck in Spa Creek, but guys that launched from Jonas Green State Park on the Severn (under the Rt 450 bridge) did better. A few years ago, I caught several pickerel over 20" on Spa Creek. How much I go up there this year will depend on gas prices.

Another spot, which is closer to me, is Allen's Fresh, which is on MD Rt 234, not far from the Rt. 301 bridge.

The lures I use are usually a twin or single tail grub, 2-4" long, in either chartreuse or white rigged on a 1/8-1/4oz jig head. Most of the fish I've caught have been on 3" chartreuse single tail grubs. I've also caught pickerel in Virginia on floating Rapalas and 4" purple or electric blue worms rigged with a jig head.

Tenchi--Yeah, I've really been missing out. :(( It just seems like my schedule, the weather, etc. never work out for early winter fishing. Hopefully, that'll change this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts