Tidal Fish Forum banner

charging spare batteries

699 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cbdaddy 
#1 ·
I know a lot of you have multiple batteries to handle your motors and your electronics. my question is how you charge all of them. do you have them on an A/B switch between charging the batteries for the motor and the batteries for the electronics?:confused: i just purchased a radar system and am going to install a new battery to the boat to handle some of the load.

#2 ·
You shouldnt charge both batteries when running so yes an A/B switch is the way to go. Unless you have a generator dont leave the radar on when the engines are not running because it will kill the battery fast. I have 4 batteries and a built in charger in the boat to charge them at home. Im sure someone else can give more info. Martin

#3 ·
You may want to look into a a four position switch (A, Both, B, Off). This will allow you to:
1. Wire your electornics to one battery. (IE: A, and with switch in the B position you can start the boat) using battery B. Should battery A run flat you can always start with battery B. Once the boat is started you can switch to battery A and charge it from the alternator.

2. Should battery go flat you can switch to BOTH and basically jump start the other battery.

3. OFF will alow you to isolate the boats electrical system for long periods of time preventic a static discharge.

Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.