Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks!

I just bought a place down here on whays creek and have been exploring the water waiting for the fishing to pick up. I was on the back side of Dameron yesterday afternoon and ended up plowing sand in a couple of spots that my Garmin had marked at 6 and 10 feet - are the charts basically just useless back there?
All we saw all day was a single schooler striper ... not a single crab in the pots this season as of yet either!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
The sands do move around Dameron. I have to take it slow the first time around in the Spring if I can't follow a crab pot line. Let us know when you start picking up specks there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a Garmin 741xs and when I'm out in the Rapp it's not unusual to see a difference of up to 11' between what the standard Blue chart shows and the sonar reading.I rely on the sonar, not the chart. I think it's a combination of a soft and constantly changing bottom and not so accurate chart feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My two cents. Otaypanky nailed it. Our shores are forever changing folks. Tidal conditions along with the storms, be it a Nor'easter, a Hurricane or just a simple Tropical Storm. I used to be able to travel by boat over a certain part of Willoughby here in Norfolk. Now you can damn near walk out there and fish next to the tunnel durning low tide. So it's very important to follow your Sounder than rely on a chart. NOAA can't keep up with the changes and chart them at the level we are experiencing along our shores, and it's not for a lack of trying I can tell you that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Case in point, this used to be a small sandy spit a few years back. The river is on the left, our creek on the right, and there used to be water flowing around the spit with a strong tidal current. I used to fish there a lot in my kayak. It's now closed off and the water no longer flows through. The sand has built up creating a sizable beach. And you can see in the 2nd photo how deeply the sand has stacked up.
And to give it a little more history of how the river is constantly changing, years back the river wasn't coming in from the left. The red line shows where there was a strip of land where there is now river, and this area was previously a sheltered creek. In the circle is the spit shown in the other photos. As best I can tell these satellite images are from earlier than 2016.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Point taken - I guess that’s what early spring is for - recon... and then even take that with a grain of sand (pun intended)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts