Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is in charge of a bachelor party during May of this year. The groom really wants to do a rockfish trip. They will be in VA Beach. Here's where I need help. Apparently there are 32 guys to attend this fishing trip. Does anyone know of any quality boats who can handle this quantity of people and provide a great day fishin for linesiders?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am assuming you know that the Rockfish Season is from 16 May to 15 June. 1 May to 15 May you are only allowed one (1) fish I believe over 32 inches per angler. The bachelor party between 15 May - 15 June?
Virginia Coastal Seasons ..................................................................January 1 through March 31 &
.......................................................................................................................…May 16 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit............................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit.................................................... 2 per person

Note that there is a coastal trophy season from May 1 to May 15; the regulations summarized below for Virginia Trophy Seasons apply to the coastal trophy season.

Coastal regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea, plus all of the creeks, bays, inlets, and tributaries on the seaside of Accomack County, Northhampton County (including areas east of the causeway from Fisherman Island to the mainland) and the City of Virginia Beach (including federal areas and state parks fronting on the Atlantic Ocean and east and south of the point where the shoreward boundary of the Territorial Sea joins the mainland at Cape Henry). Click here for map of coastal boundary near the CBBT.

Virginia Trophy Seasons: Coastal Area (May 1-15); Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries (May 1 through June 15)

........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................32 inches
........................................Possession Limit.....................................................1 per person

Additional Trophy Season Regulations: Catch Report Required; no possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15. Trophy Season regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea and the Chesapeake Bay and its Virginia tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Chesapeake Bay Spring Season .................................................May 16 through June 15
........................................Minimum Size Limit.............................................. 18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * .......................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit ...................................................2 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be larger than 32 inches ( catch report required if striped bass 32" or greater is kept ); No possession of 32" or greater striped bass in the Spawning Reaches May 1 through June 15.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Please tell them there are not enough stripers in this area in May to bother fishing for them. There are numerous other species they can catch. Give me a call or email, I am sure I can help.

Capt. Tim Cannon
www.baystooceans.com

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Please tell them there are not enough stripers in this area in May to bother fishing for them. There are numerous other species they can catch. Give me a call or email, I am sure I can help.

Capt. Tim Cannon
www.baystooceans.com
Capt Tim, I have to disagree with you on that one. There are plenty of rockfish around during the spring season. They're moving into the rivers and they're moving fast but they are definitely there.

Captain Ed

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The question si do you wanna put in the time. Personally you guys would be better off getting on one of the head boats out of rudee for a deep drop trip. Thatd be a way to go, you cna catch flounder, spot, croaker, whatever. THose are really the only boats that can hold that number of people without splitting between two or more boats, and even then most guys cant hold that many people. Good luck in finding something though. You might have to cut down the fishing party to a select few though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We catch plenty of striper in the Spring season usually limiting out, however the catching technique is quite different then fall and winter striper fishing. The problem is with 32 guys your looking for a head boat which would carry your whole group but would have a very hard time getting you on a good bight of stripers in the spring unless you got lucky they decided to feed on the surface and could cast at them. I only carry 6 passengers on the Key Dreams. To keep your group together you might consider one of the local head boats for some Sea Bass fishing which should be good in May and is a good option for a large group like you have. If I could help you out in any way feel free to contact me.
Capt. Bill, Key Dreams Charter Boat Service, http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
We catch plenty of striper in the Spring season usually limiting out, however the catching technique is quite different then fall and winter striper fishing. The problem is with 32 guys your looking for a head boat which would carry your whole group but would have a very hard time getting you on a good bight of stripers in the spring unless you got lucky they decided to feed on the surface and could cast at them. I only carry 6 passengers on the Key Dreams. To keep your group together you might consider one of the local head boats for some Sea Bass fishing which should be good in May and is a good option for a large group like you have. If I could help you out in any way feel free to contact me.
Capt. Bill, Key Dreams Charter Boat Service, http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/
Good point about the technique being different. In the spring I take my clients in the river and usually wireline over the tubes of the bridge tunnels. Also, FYI...sea bass will be closed in May unfortunately.

Capt Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.