Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot people here like the best. However during the summer and fall one of my personal favorite rods to use is an el'cheapo Berkley Amp. I was turned on to them by my fathers friends tackle shop in NJ. It is very sensitive and light with great action.. I actually like it better than some of my $120+ rods. Only down fall is that it doesnt really have enough guides and they can corrode over time. With the price of them, who cares. Throw it away and buy another one every couple of years. Berkley came out with a newer version of the rod and the regular AMP is now on sale for $21.. YUP $21! I have caught fish to over 40" on it.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-rods-casting-rods-berkley-amp/1365014.html#tab-description

From Thursday in the fog with a nice bite.

Share your bargain gear that you love.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Ande trolling rods $45/each from Tochelman's if you get 6 or more. They have held up extremely well for the last three years.
5th

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
OK, since 24Albemarle agreed with me; I'll share another:)

FishOff Gloves
I have the one that is a glove attached to a belt with a "splash" apron. There is only one problem with wearing it, all my buddies swing their fish to me for unhooking :( This leaves me with less fishing time.
But seriously, especially during this time of year when there is a lot of jigging occurring, it allows you to grab the fish, unhook, and get back to jigging quicker than if you have to unhook without the glove. How many of us have to let the fish "swing" into the correct position, try to wait for it to open it's mouth so we can insert a thumb, and then hope it doesn't start acting crazy so it doesn't throw a treble hook (even if barbs are mashed) into our hand.
Try it!!
5th

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
OK, since 24Albemarle agreed with me; I'll share another:)

FishOff Gloves
I have the one that is a glove attached to a belt with a "splash" apron. There is only one problem with wearing it, all my buddies swing their fish to me for unhooking :( This leaves me with less fishing time.
But seriously, especially during this time of year when there is a lot of jigging occurring, it allows you to grab the fish, unhook, and get back to jigging quicker than if you have to unhook without the glove. How many of us have to let the fish "swing" into the correct position, try to wait for it to open it's mouth so we can insert a thumb, and then hope it doesn't start acting crazy so it doesn't throw a treble hook (even if barbs are mashed) into our hand.
Try it!!
5th
I second the FishOff glove, especially when you are catching numerous fish. They definitely will help you from getting pierced by a fin and help you avoid one of the fish handling diseases that seem to be more and more prevalent.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a buddy in Texas who fishes the Gulf, and he & I have exchanged this type of info in the past. He's big on buying "cheap" because where he fishes, he says it destroys his gear, even though he does use some much better gear. Some of the cheap stuff is really great considering the price.

If you like perch jerking, check out the Shimano FX spinning outfits. I think I paid about $20 each for both rod & reel. They're great for the kids. Surprising, but they've actually held up very well & I've caught a lot of perch, bass, crappies & small catfish with them. I bought 3 sets primarily for the kids, still have all 3 rods & 2 of the reels. They're at least 10 years old, and have gotten a lot of use.

For a cheap trolling or bottom rod, I like the Daiwa Beefsticks. Actually I like their surf rods too. Heavier than many other rods, but they're fiberglass and again hold up well. I don't get to troll or surf fish often enough to justify having better rods sitting around. Only negative I can say about them is not enough guides. The boat rods I've purchased for $35 or less, some of the surf rods I paid a little more, but less than $50. You can't break them unless you run over them with your vehicle.

The other cheap rods I like are Shakespeare Sturdy Stick trolling or bottom rods. They too are fiberglass, not as stiff as the Beefsticks, but again are great for the kids or grandkids. $16.99 each as Academy Sports, buy 2 they ship for free. Not the rods you want to use for the Trophy season, but for that price, if it goes over board, it's not a great loss. Fun rods for catfishing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Ok, I'm two for two:)
I'll try a third. I always had cheap, cheap, cheap rain gear. I mean like those $1 poncho's you buy at 7-11 stores:) Well of course I needed something better. I bought a cheap rubberized jacket and pants that kept the rain out, but didn't breath at all. I still got wet inside because of all the sweat!!! I think the zippers lasted three times; it was a waste of money.
When I accepted the position as mate on "Patent Pending" out of Deale, I knew I needed some foul weather gear that was better quality. I looked at several sporting goods stores and really liked the expensive stuff. Gage and Grundens looked like they were well made, but I wasn't looking to break the bank either.
I went to Bass Pro (which I hate to do) to look at a larger selection of options. I found the Frog Toggs that were advertised by Roland Martin (what doesn't he advertise). They seemed a little too frail for the many times I would need them on the charter. However, the same company makes a little better quality outfit called "Toads".
I bought the bib overall version of the Toads and couldn't be happier. They have lasted 5 years, and I use them not only on wet days, but on cold days as well. They cut the wind and I find myself with my hands tucked in the bib part to help keep them warm. You can't really wear gloves on the boat when you are constantly tying leaders, adjusting lines, and handling rods. They have been a lifesaver for me. Additionally, they keep all the blood, guts, and scales off your "street clothes" when handling fish.
I did buy a different rain jacket for the top. It is "Ascend". It looks a little nicer and I use it for any occasion when it is raining. I can wear it to the mall, restaurants, or visiting friends. It is 5 years old as well and has held up very well.
SOOOOOO, if you need something for these upcoming chilly mornings or rain gear you can stuff into your backpack; check them out.
5th

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say that I like my Ande rods for trolling too!

Best buy for a spinning reel IMHO is the Okuma Trio Baitfeeder. You can get them in a 3000 series and they work as my jigging and live lining reels. They are smooth and nice quality. I like them better than my Penn Slammer or Shimano reels which are more $$

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been using the Berkley Lightning Rods and the Gander Mountain Vortex for the last couple of years and have found them both to be great rods for the price. The Lightning Rods are around $40 and the Gander Mountain Rods are listed at $59 but seem to be on perpetual sale for $20. They balance very well with a 2500 or 3000 reel.

·
Registered
864 Posts
For spinning gear I've always liked Shakespeare Ugly Sticks. they are about $40 and nearly bullet proof. They changed the style last year but still good. I tend to take folks that don't fish much and they can be hard on tackle.

John

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I always use the quote " if no one was looking would you still drive a Mercedes". Do you really need a $100.00 outfit to catch pan fish?
I've had good experience with BPS Bionic Blade rods.

One thing I like about the more expensive rods is that they are lighter in weight. This really counts when making hundreds of casts on a trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheap Rods.. Tsunami Five Star all day! $29.99 a piece.. i have a bunch from spinning to 20-40lb class for trolling.. they take a beating and ask for more! love em!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts