Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting reads on what the City of Virginia Beach was consulted to do with long term planning at the southern end of the resort area which includes the Rudee Inlet down Winstom Salem. First I have heard about it or read anything about the Marina District. Good bye Big Sams, hello Starbucks...., no more parking in a parking lot near your boat, would be like Waterside in Norfolk since that was such a huge success........drop your stuff off and then go park in a municipal lot somewhere. Check out the pages 37-44 for the Marina district. Does away with most parking by widing the street and adding a board walk for pedestrians, so everyone can walk by and look at your boat, retail shops and condo's above......water taxi's......wonderful..... You might ask "what about the fisherman"......they left that part out, forgot about us.....
I don't know the specifics on this, haven't had time to do much research, but this is the what I was able to find on vbgov.com website..... more details to come..... Hopefully some of the business owners were contacted in that district, if not spread the word....
I am personally not willing to keep my boat at a marina, park in a municipal parking garage/lot and walk or take public transportation to my boat. Granted this is long term planning, but people should be aware of what the City is planninghttp://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/planning/VABFinalPublicPresentation060208.pdf

·
Registered
173 Posts
holy ****... looks like the fleet needs to find a new home... I wonder if they will let me take my coolers full of fish on the trolly to the parking garage?!!!!

VB sucks!!! I guess this year will be the last time I visit them!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
thanx Sub, got that PDF offline by chance that you could email it to me ? it must be so big that the link wont open for me......i hate this city more & more everyday i pay for it to expand. Chesapeake was getting just as bad........need to move back to the sticks i guess. we cant complain if we live in a "resort" city tho

·
Registered
225 Posts
The best part about it is the future view of the streets. Lots of trees and only a few people on the sidewalk. It must be the future view during January when no one is around. Lets see the streets full of cars with nowhere to park.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sublime,

Thanks for sharing that information with me. It only makes me THAT MUCH GLADDER that I'm not out there with my boat. I hope the marina district plan goes through only because it will help me and my fledgling charter business grow.

Seriously - if you want to help this project NOT HAPPEN, lets get some new blood on city council. Vote for Captain Lee (Leona) Shuler for the At Large seat.

Joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
I remember..

sitting on the tailgate of Jeep on the corner of Atlantic and 12th St next to the DeWitt cottage and rating the girls as they cruised by on just about any summer night. Now...NO cruising or you'll get a ticket :eek2: and that little dead end is a pavered sidewalk. Now this plan for even MORE expansion, I won't spend my money at any of those tourist traps. Glad I have friends at Cape Henry for when I want to take the kids to a real beach!!:yes:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Can you imagine, the tourist ***** enough already about the overspray when your washing the boat! Hey the captain tells me to spray the rigger tips, I spray the rigger tips!:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the link.

My 2 cents, guys keep in mind these action plans are long term studies, clearly a vision with many details not determined. I assume they had some public hearings? (Dont know)
Its when they start to develop details of construction documents for specific areas, like the marina area, you guys should speak up, so practical issues like trailer vehicle access, parking, etc are not missed.

I actually like some of the streetscape/waterfront improvement ideas, but admit, a little bias, I am a landscape architect, but I was not involved in this project, and if I put in its at lynnhaven, cobbs or willouby;-)

John

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is another for the informal session on a webcast. Scroll to 14:00, 22:22, 26:30 and 32:30 where they discuss the Marina district. Just keeping people informed and as mentioned above this is long term planning. I don't believe they have had a public hearing on this yet.
City of Virginia Beach eStream

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the working waterfront were we have been pushed out by "amusement pavilions" for years. It's all about the money tourist pay tax and don't need much for services.

Boats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts