Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran over 50 residential service calls for oil heat furnaces today. I thought I would just throw a reminder to those who have them to service or get them serviced.

Do a visual inspection of your tank if above ground.
Check to see if you have any dark colored soil under the tank due to a small leak or a seeping fitting.

Make sure everything is nice and snug especially plugs and fill cap. Double check and make note that your vent (Mushroom looking cap) for the tank (above ground and below) are tight and not cracked.

On the gauge,if the plastic piece is gone replace it, So you can accurately read the tank. Also thats another way for water to get in, so it will help if fixed.

ON THE FURNACE:

Get your oil supply company or if your handy replace your Oil filter. 90% of all problems start there.

Make sure they inspect the Electrodes,Nozzle, and Air filter.

Checking this stuff will save you from being without heat and Carbon monoxide poising .

Please I urge all that have oil heat, Get a Carbon Monoxide Detector. I can't count all the homes I have visited with toddlers and small children that had no Detector. Every home with oil heat must Have one. Smoke alarms DO NOT WORK FOR THIS PROBLEM.

Stay safe and Happy Holidays
moses

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks and all good advice. My Mom was complaining about smelling something in her house two weeks ago; sure enough her furnace was on its last legs... ended up replacing the whole thing...

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Great heads up. We have carbon monoxide detectors on every level! Smoke detectors saved our lives once already (in my last house) so make sure you have good batteries in them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, Rather give a heads up then have me come to your house.... I just installed a furnace today at a friends house, I couldn't believe how much suit was blown out! Hopefully i'll get some clothes for xmas. This is the time of year when quite a few forget about the detectors and Heat in the home. I also have one on every floor and in the main foyer of my house.

Happy holidays
moses

1 - 6 of 6 Posts