Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Chesapeake Oyster Recovery Efforts Failing" was the headline I read in my local paper this morning. At least they said it better then the headline in the Washington Post article yesterday which read "Oyster-Saving Efforts a Wash In Chesapeake". Let me fix the headline for both papers, "Chesapeake Bay Oyster Recovery Efforts have Failed: New Approach Needed Now". I have...read more on my blog

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Te ORP was a bad joke from the start.Talk about the fox guarding the hen house :eek:.

When I was 18 (1982)- I was going to buy an Oyster boat and go tonging for a "living".My dad half talked me out of it and the bay freezing over finished the foolish idea I had.I've seen in that short time the Oysters just about disappear from our bay.

It's time to shut it down and let them recover.The Oysters play a key role in bringing the bay back- once Oysters recover and start filtering the water, then grasses will come back.

·
Registered
764 Posts
"How do you spend $58 million to get more of something and wind up with less of it?" The next $58 million should be spent on reef balls or some other substrate to form permanent oyster sanctuaries. Or hand out bags of oysters to waterfront propery owners to float out front or hang from their docks. Anything would be better than the ORP project which, like Brandon said, is a total failure.

Here's a 2 year old article about Lynnhaven oysters growing on rip rap and doing very well:

Profusion of Oysters on Shoreline Rocks Offers Scientists Hope - washingtonpost.com

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all crazy to me. At least it's getting more coverage. Hope we can restore them and it's not too late!

Brandon

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Not that I'm a fan of development, but didn't someone do a study showing that the discharges from newly developed land (under modern regs) were less than from farmland?

Perhaps siltation/wetland acreage should be included on every farm to provide some filtering of the runoff?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It may be less than farm land, but a lot of land being developed is wooded and not used for agriculture at all. Also, nitrogen run-off is just one aspect of the problem. With oysters, sediment run-off is just as detrimental and hardening of the shoreline is decreasing marsh grasses which in turn is allowing more and more silt and sediment run-off.

Our little town has been fighting a developer who wants to put condos up in place of an existing marina. Although most of the property is graveled now (a slightly pervious surface), the plan for the condos and parking basically turns the entire property into an impervious surface. The developer states he will filtrate storm water run-off 30% more than the state requires. That sounds good and all but when you increase the amount of stormwater run-off by many times, you are ultimately putting more run-off into the creek than is currently even with a filtration system. This is and has been happening all over the bay for the last 20 + years and we still don't want to accept it is a major part of the problem with the overall health of the bay.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not that I'm a fan of development, but didn't someone do a study showing that the discharges from newly developed land (under modern regs) were less than from farmland?

Perhaps siltation/wetland acreage should be included on every farm to provide some filtering of the runoff?
Bingo! Try and fight the farm lobby, Ha! We subsidize them to not plant, pay them to plant cover crop, and they can't even file the required forms. Have ya read Ches Bay Blues, Pax? It ain't new development, its old development and farms. It's all on CBF's site, check it out and read between the lines.

·
Registered
602 Posts
"This is and has been happening all over the bay for the last 20 + years and we still don't want to accept it is a major part of the problem with the overall health of the bay."

Exactly biglee!

Thanks for showing others that you are in touch with reality. I wish there was more like you.

What would you rather have: a field covered in fodder or the same field covered in asphalt?

I know what my answer is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts