Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year as a Non- Resident I purchased a Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License, and at that time I received a sticker for $50. After doing so I found that was the way to go as several of my friends could fish on my boat without obtaining an individual license. Yesterday I went to purchase the same boat license and learned after doing so that the sticker would be mailed to me and until that arrived, I could use the paper or receipt from the purchase. They also stated that if anyone that is a Non- Resident or unlicensed fisherman must complete a Maryland Saltwater Angler Registration online, which is free. This registration must be completed before they fish. I really do not understand the reason for this.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Last year as a Non- Resident I purchased a Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License, and at that time I received a sticker for $50. After doing so I found that was the way to go as several of my friends could fish on my boat without obtaining an individual license. Yesterday I went to purchase the same boat license and learned after doing so that the sticker would be mailed to me and until that arrived, I could use the paper or receipt from the purchase. They also stated that if anyone that is a Non- Resident or unlicensed fisherman must complete a Maryland Saltwater Angler Registration online, which is free. This registration must be completed before they fish. I really do not understand the reason for this.
It is a way of tracking catches and knowing how many people are fishing.. I have a MD sport boat license and fished in VA e few weeks ago. I had to register with VMRC. I had a guy from VA fish with me yesterday and he had to register. It's simple and can be done on a smart phone. You really don't have to understand all the regs but you must comply with them...............Gary

·
Registered
885 Posts
The saltwater angler registry is an attempt to collect more accurate data about how many people actually go recreational fishing in saltwater. Boat licenses obscure/deflate that data to some extent, so the on-line registry makes the recreational angler numbers look bigger/closer to reality. These numbers get used for a variety of management applications, including estimating the value of the recreational fishing sector to the economy, and comparing that value to the estimated economic value of the commercial fishing sector when considering catch allocations between the rec and comm sectors. Probably also used to estimate recreational fishing pressure and catch totals. Some people suspect it will be used to calculate potential new revenue the gov't could get by not making the registration free in the future or eliminating the boat license.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You were also supposed to fill out the registry form last year as well. I am also a Maryland non-resident but have a house in St Michaels. I fill out the registry in South Carolina and New Jersey each year as well. If I am not mistaken the passenger-fishermen are supposed to do that as well. That almost escaped me because many if the fishermen on my boat have their own boats as well.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Some people suspect it will be used to calculate potential new revenue the gov't could get by not making the registration free in the future or eliminating the boat license.
I suppose there are paranoids in all groups (not calling you out rgardn2, I assume you were speaking about others). The Saltwater Angler Registry is a Federal program, under the auspices of NOAA. If you look at their web site, they list a $29.00 administrative fee for registration, which is waived (apparently) if you registered through some specific State programs (such as Maryland's). I am sure that the State of Maryland (which is not the prime mover of the SAR), is quite aware of the amount of revenue it could generate if it cancelled the boat license in favor of individual licenses. So it would not require an oblique data-collection analysis to identify the positive benefit/cost ratio of requiring individual licenses. The same holds true if NOAA wanted to raise revenue.

The SAR provides a foundation of a mechanism for determining the saltwater angling impact (pressure, dollars, etc.) on a state-by-state basis (hence individual registrations needed in various saltwater states).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts