Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, one of my resolutions for 2011 is to catch a keeper flounder in the bay this season. I picked up Keith Kaufman's book on flounder fishing at the Tri-state fishing flea market and am slowly gathering up some information to do this task.

I am trying to catch the flounder in the middle bay area because the idea was to catch a flounder close to home instead of having to drive to ocean city or wachapreague to do so. I read in the book that the northern most "hot spot" in the bay was around the drop off on the west side of poplar island and i've also read people targeting them with success in years past at TPL.
From what I've searched here on TF the flounder just didn't seem to make it into MD waters in any numbers last year but I'm going to be optimistic about this years chances.

My question is, when historically do these flat fishes seem to show up in MD waters?? The book i have said there is a good "late spring" run up towards poplar island but I am wondering what time that may be? I've seen plenty of posts with people on here with some nice flounders in years past in mid bay waters and I am bound and determined to catch a few this year! Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Some years - nice Flounder come into the bay in mid May. Most fishermen are Rock fishing and do not target them.
A few get caught by accident by early bottom fishermen or a chummer.

These early Flounder often are near shore where water is warmer. 3 to 8 feet of water seems best. I know for sure the sandy area from Parkers north to Holland Point has given them up.

East side - area off Black Walnut Point can be good - and the flats off Taylors Island.

Early June - the area near #84 ( The Hill ) used to be a chummer parking lot. Guys fishing a bait or bottom sometimes got a nice Flounder surprise in 25 to 35 feet.

July / August / Sept offers the best chance off Annapolis and farther north. Few years ago in Oct. - I was diving off Podickery and put my hand on a few Flounder. A few were caught there on soft crabs that week.

My son and I saw small Flounder near CCNPP while diving this year.

Some years there are decent numbers around but not many go after them. The tight creel limits and large min. size puts most off the chase.

My dad and I used to drift long strips of fresh cut Spot - 1/4 x 5 inch - changing baits every 10 minutes , off Mattapeake and did OK.
Areas where crab pots are seem to always be good. Hassle drifting among them but often productive.

A small live Spot about 3 to 4 inches would be my first choice now since size limit is bigger. Lenny Rudow swears by a Gulp lure on a jighead.

Cool thing with Flounder , often a calm sunny day is best.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z28YJ - Thanks for the tip i'll have to check it out the area as i'm going to be keeping my boat in the South river this season

IClaudius7 - I ordered the book today from Amazon and look forward to checking it out. Seems to have a lot more than flounder fishing information for me!

Skip - Thanks for the info, I agree I think small Spot are going to be the ticket for catching anything of keeper size and I'll prob switch to that if I can find an area that seems to hold more than a straggler or two. I'm going to start looking as soon as I get a few days of the trophy striper season under my belt for the season.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
My question is, when historically do these flat fishes seem to show up in MD waters?? The book i have said there is a good "late spring" run up towards poplar island but I am wondering what time that may be? I've seen plenty of posts with people on here with some nice flounders in years past in mid bay waters and I am bound and determined to catch a few this year! Thanks for all the help.
Colsen

I too have the book and it's agreat read.

Go to page 208, bottom paragraph, about half way down. Keith mentions Mid to Late May through Mid June for the Poplar Island area.

Couple of things he emphasizes. Big baits, as much weight as it takes to stay on the bottom and make sure strip baits don't spin. They must flutter.

Chris

Don't know if Alltackle still stocks it, but that is where I bought mine 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
look at the ledge between the r-84 buoys. start at the crab pots go west.........hit the drop off go north or south stay on the drop off.......best method is to back troll.

one guy needs to be at the wheel. also, similar structure in eb.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've had good luck using a "flounder sandwich". A minnow and a squid strip. Try drifting or slow trolling. You may have to use a lot of weight but the key is being on the bottom. I also have had luck in the areas noted above and the area near Cove Point Light. My wife loves to fish flounder but last year we didn't do well.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
look at the ledge between the r-84 buoys. start at the crab pots go west.........hit the drop off go north or south stay on the drop off.......best method is to back troll.

one guy needs to be at the wheel. also, similar structure in eb.
No. Pt. Better

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also had the same question. Thanks to everyone that replied. Just moved my boat down from Cape May and need to learn the area...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts