Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed several threads this week highlighting Striper catches adjacent to the CBBT. I thought the Fall Season closed on 12/31 (Chesapeake Bay Area including the CBBT) and the Virginia Coastal Water Season opened 1/1 (the line between Cape Henry and Fisherman Island out 3 miles). Is the CBBT inside Virginia Coastal Waters?

Thank you, Glen

·
Registered
368 Posts
no its not the fish are apparently still holding good in the bay for now with this warm weather when a cold snapp hits they will venture down and out but you can still fish the bay catch and release

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
As noted above, the Bay is still legal for Catch & Release.

The season in the Coastal Zone did not "open" on 1/1. It has actually been open since last May. It closes on March 31st, then reopens again on May 16th this year. Coastal Trophy Season May 1-15th...

Go here, then scroll down to Striped Bass...

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm

Brian

·
Registered
860 Posts
I appreciate the info as well, however, I looked at the striped bass section and did not see anything that says C&R is legal in the bay right now. Maybe I missed it??? Thanks

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Friendly Heads-up:
If you're Catching & "Keeping" in the Ocean within the 3-mile limit, make sure you don't stop to do some Catching & "Release" on the way back in to Lynnhaven or other ports inside the bay.

However, several years ago I was fishing with a couple friends around the CBBT after Jan 1 and wore my arms off Catching & "Releasing" big stripers from 33-45" all day long. We were the only boat working this huge school as everyone else was out in the Ocean from Cape Henry south to the Ramada. At the end of the day we ran out past Cape Henry and stopped on some nice marks and quickly jigged up 6 keepers in about 20 minutes. Ran straight back in to Lynnhaven and had the best of Catch and "Release" and Catch and "Keep".

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts