Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I got on the water around 10:15 am and headed down to area in front of the radar towers. There was a big flock of birds all around, but very few were diving. I guess they could see bait fish, but the bait fish weren't getting busted on enough to stay on the surface? Either way, we trolled around the general vicinity watching as all the boats around us hooked up. We saw at least 10 high teens to mid 30s fish got pulled out within 50 yards of us. We had two dinks around 18" (both released). Finally, around 12 or 12:30, we hooked a decent fish. And it came on my jigging rod, with 10lb line and a 6" bkd on a 3/4" jig head, which I tossed out to see what would happen. That fish was 42" and fat. I guess it's true that elephants eat peanuts. Even though these fish don't fight much, it was fun pulling around all that weight. I had to take the boat our of gear to make headway. Around 1:30 we got a 20" on the same jigging rod (released). After that we pulled the lines and headed back to the dock. The water was turned off at the cleaning station and my fingers were numb, so cleaning that thing was an adventure. Overall it was a slow day, but the weather and that 42" made up for it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
nice fish

Had to be a blast getting that beast on LTJ! Wasn't on fire for my buddy and I farther south at PNP, but we got a couple good fish so it was worth the chilly morning in a CC!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well there all that most of us have within reach so saying a 42' doesn't fight that much sounds a little pretentious to me. Thanks for the report though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't trying to offend with the comment that they don't fight much. But I grew up in south florida and caught dolphin, kingfish, sailfish, tuna, etc. A 30lb sailfish would spool a stradic 4000 unless chased. But no doubt it was a great fight and the adrenaline with flowing big time! :) It was my heaviest fish caught in the bay, so that was a big deal to me.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I wasn't trying to offend with the comment that they don't fight much. But I grew up in south florida and caught dolphin, kingfish, sailfish, tuna, etc. A 30lb sailfish would spool a stradic 4000 unless chased. But no doubt it was a great fight and the adrenaline with flowing big time! :) It was my heaviest fish caught in the bay, so that was a big deal to me.
Gee how did I know you were going to say that.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
A 42 incher LTG, one word, sweet!! :bigfish:

Congratulations!!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Nice work. 42 on 10 pound test is a heck of an accomplishment. You mentioned you had to put the boat out of gear. Were you trolling that BKD?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work. 42 on 10 pound test is a heck of an accomplishment. You mentioned you had to put the boat out of gear. Were you trolling that BKD?
:yes::helpsmilie: Actually, yes, I was trolling a 10lb spinner. I figured it could do more for me in the water than in the rod holder.:clap:

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
thanks for the report, I thought i heard that the bite was a little better a little more south, I hope they stick around as I'd like to try trolling on my new boat for some bigger fish and if I see birds / breakers I'd go jigging.

·
Registered
839 Posts
congrats. I like how you put the rod and lure in the photo. I live in Ches Beach and never caught one so big on a lure as small as that. Way to go. I will say I can agree that stripers don't fight as hard as some fish, but for this area, a 42 inch striper on light tackle is a treat.

The biggest fish on light tacke for me was a huge tarpon on 8 pound test using live anchovie in Puerto Rico. If you ever go to Puerto Rico, there is some fantastic tarpon fishing right near the airport. We went with Capt Omar and he was aweseome. Most people just want to to offshore while there, but way more fun catching tarpon on light tackle. Check it out: Fishing in Puerto Rico | Fishing Guide , Fly Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Fishing Report

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
You are not allowed to do that :D. You must either troll or LTJ - gotta pick one side or the other.The dark side (trolling) must remain strong.

This evil combination could upset the entire sport :pp.Next will be LTJ guys jigging umbrella rigs.

Heck of a nice Rock - awesome to land it trolling a LTJ outfit :clapping2:. Just don't do it again :D.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Heard that! I don't even allow people to drag jigs behind my boat! You gotta reel in very fast when the engine starts and try not to catch a fish. If you do happen to catch one, I hope you can land it at 30 knots 'cause I ain't slowin' down!! :D:D

PS: Great picture.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thats a beautiful fish ...WTG

I have to disagree with the comment about rock fish not up to the fight ,I caught some under 18's with big shoulders on Sunday :D at bloody pt and those fish fought plenty hard for there size ,I thought for sure I was pulling up keepers on a few that were only 17' but thick....must be the cooler temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts