Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lanny and Ramrod invited me up to Chesapeake fishing on Saturday. Lanny had come home for a couple days to pick up his truck so Ramrod and I went out despite the small craft advisory (15-20 knots out of the NW). We braved the swells and went to a spot that Yogi called us over to because he was doing pretty well. I landed our one fish around 30 pounds for the day, which I was pleased with since I thought it was a real nice sized fish (with a tag). We did miss several others….partly due to needing the rod holders with left-handed threads on the left side of the boat when running planer boards so the fish won’t loosen the rod holder (creating slack). We had a great time, and I am really appreciative of Ramrod to share the winter Chesapeake fishing experience with me.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Nice fish Scott!
I knew you all were going to have a tough day considering the weather(mainly wind). Lisa and I will be heading back right after Christmas. My daughter and son in law are up from Texas and he is suppose to go with us on the 26th.
I know you said you did not have any more time in December to fish but let me know about January and if you have time we can go then we just have to fish the ocean side. Anyway, glad you could catch a :bigfish: for your efforts. Tight lines buddie!
:rockon:

Oh, I'm still trying to decide if the third picture is a keeper or a throwback!:yes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi LannyP,

You mentioned that Chesapeake Bay fishing for stripers shifts to the ocean side in January. Does this mean the stripers stay outside the bay? Also, the mention of planers? Does this mean that if there's not enough wind or current to push the boat, the TM and planers are needed to get a bait spread like on Kerr?

My daughter and I are still recovering from the Flu, but if she's still here around the first of the year, I may be able to convince her to make another trip to Chesapeake. Doesn't take any convincing for me as I saw too many of those monsters coming into the bait shop. Besides that, I think we paid our dues with weather similar to what LittleBoyBlue encountered. Now time to do some fish catching!

Do you have a recommendation for a really good foul weather suit for the Chesapeake? My old motorcycle/snowmobile suit just wasn't up to the task as it wasn't water proof. I had a water proof jacket over the top, but left the trousers off, big mistake. Deb had a camo hunting jump suit that kept her toasty. Then, what about foot wear? Just rubber boots, or something more substantial? In any event, the clothing will be used on Kerr.

Thanks again for gettting me directed so I could meet up with Mike. BTW, is this an annual event for BISC? As long as I'm able, I hope there will be invitations.

The weather around here jumps from 33-39 daytime to the mid 50s starting on Dec. 24. Don't know about the wind, but just knowing that the weather might cooperate . . .

Naw, the last photo isn't a throw back. He's just relaxed and living his dream!

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Hey Joy,
The bay season ends Dec 31st. Then you can fish for them inside the bay but it has to be catch and release only. If you go outside the bay bridge about a mile it is legal to fish for them and keep'em. As far as the planers go we use them to get a good spread. We use our trolling motors during slack tide when there is not much movement from wind or tide.
As far as a good suit for wet and cold weather both bass pro and cabelas have good insulated and waterproof suits. Just make sure you get a suit that is made with GORTEX. Goretex is the key. I ware a North Face suit. Some of the same clothing they use to climb the north face of Everest. It is the top of the line and hard to beat. My pants were $250 and coat was $350 so $600 for north face but the bass pro and cabelas a great products too. Remember, the Goretex is the key ingredient in a great suit. As far as boots, Ramrod and I bought our waterproof boots a Wal-mart. On sale for $20, thinsulated, camouflaged and waterproof, I believe they are made by Brahma.
As far as this being a annual event, it has been for me and RR and we hope to make it one for the club too. I hope next year our club takes the Toys for Tots club trophy. They have a trophy that the club with the most weight or biggest fish for the 3 day tournament keeps until the next year. So help us promote the idea at the spring meeting.
I deme the last photo of Scotts a keeper too. I would have to, to be friends as long as we have not to mention being able to room together too.:yes: Thanks Joy and tight lines!
Lanny

Hi LannyP,

You mentioned that Chesapeake Bay fishing for stripers shifts to the ocean side in January. Does this mean the stripers stay outside the bay? Also, the mention of planers? Does this mean that if there's not enough wind or current to push the boat, the TM and planers are needed to get a bait spread like on Kerr?

My daughter and I are still recovering from the Flu, but if she's still here around the first of the year, I may be able to convince her to make another trip to Chesapeake. Doesn't take any convincing for me as I saw too many of those monsters coming into the bait shop. Besides that, I think we paid our dues with weather similar to what LittleBoyBlue encountered. Now time to do some fish catching!

Do you have a recommendation for a really good foul weather suit for the Chesapeake? My old motorcycle/snowmobile suit just wasn't up to the task as it wasn't water proof. I had a water proof jacket over the top, but left the trousers off, big mistake. Deb had a camo hunting jump suit that kept her toasty. Then, what about foot wear? Just rubber boots, or something more substantial? In any event, the clothing will be used on Kerr.

Thanks again for gettting me directed so I could meet up with Mike. BTW, is this an annual event for BISC? As long as I'm able, I hope there will be invitations.

The weather around here jumps from 33-39 daytime to the mid 50s starting on Dec. 24. Don't know about the wind, but just knowing that the weather might cooperate . . .

Naw, the last photo isn't a throw back. He's just relaxed and living his dream!

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts