Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with these?....Considering building one over the winter...IMO, they are beautiful to look at...Anyone have any experience with them from a building or performance standpoint?...Anyone out there ever built one?....How was the experience?...Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not into kayaks or sail boats, but they are very nice looking boats.
Keep us posted if you build one. Would love to see in-process pics.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Cheapeake Light Craft

I haven't built one yet but I've been down to the shop in Annapolis and seen the classes in session. You should take a trip down there and look at all the models in the showroom. John Harris runs a a great operation and IMO, these boats are 5x more beautiful than their plastic cousins. Works of art.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've built 4, a 5th kayak is sitting in the box waiting for some attention. What are you looking to build? The kits are very complete and the construction is not at all hard. It is a very rewarding experience. CLC is a great company to work with, very customer oriented. Fellow builders are also eager to help via the message board on their site.

The boats perform as good as they look. The Artic Hawk and Shearwaters are my personal favorites as far kayaks go. I built an Annapolis Wherry for a guy and was very impressed with its rowing ability, much faster than it looks. They have expanded their line extensively this summer adding the Guillemot line of kayaks. Where are you located? They have wednesday night demos in Annapolis and will bring most anything you want if you request it in advance. They are also going to be at the Annapolis boat show this year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies....I am in Northern Va....but would probably make this a weekend project at my cottage on Va.'s Eastern Shore along with my 15 year old son...we have lots of kids, so we're considering the Passage Maker or the Skiff...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have sailed the Jimmy Skiff and it really moves for such a simple rig. Haven't been in a PMD yet. Both have a very loyal following. The PMD uses and little different construction technique called lapstitch. The Wherry I built uses the same and was very easy to build. Good luck with the project, give me a shout if you need anything-Joey

·
Registered
245 Posts
clc boats

i know the clc guys there boats are great they travel all over the US selling them the boats are beautfiul i always wanted to buy a display model.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Also, IMO any boat you buy plans for and build yourself, the boat is going to be as good as your boat building skills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts