Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote an article a while ago on Ocean City Maryland White Marlin fishing and for it I did some research of what created the Ocean City Inlet. As it turns out it was the Chesapeake-Potomac Hurricane of 1933. Before then little to no offshore fishing was really happening off Ocean City. After that storm we all know what happened, Ocean City became the white marlin fishing capital of the world.

From the reports coming in it looks like we might get another inlet or two along the Maryland or Delaware coast. :eek2: Any which way, I posted the article for anyone interested in doing some reading while riding out Hurricane Sandy.

Ocean City Maryland - White Marlin Fishing Capital of the World: How OC Inlet Happened

·
Registered
868 Posts
Cool article, and I can't believe they used to catch a lot of marlin at the Jack Spot. This year was pretty good, but we had our white marlin bite earlier, we had our best day at 32.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
To add to the story of the inlet I took my grand son on the Assateague Adventure boat and they related this story. There was a railroad bridge into OC. They put railroad cars on the bridge in hopes of weighing it down. It didn't work and the bridge collapsed. The locomotive was in OC and had to be disassembled to get it out of there. The inlet was formed from the back bay to the ocean not from ocean breaking through.

Unfortunely the next inlet will probably up around 75th street. This is where my condo is. Of course if it broke through just north of my condo I'd have a nice view of the fishing boats going to sea..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts