Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched in the Narrows at about 8:30 today, after all the cold weather I wasn't sure what to expect so I took a quick look in EB but didn't see another crabber and the water temp was only 56. Well, I was tempted to run to the Wye but it was forecast to blow a little in the afternoon so I wasn't sure what to do. A couple years ago I talked to a guy at the ramp who did real well in the Chester late in the season so I pulled a U turn and went in search of new territory. I came through the narrows and headed up river a couple miles and found a flotilla of boats working 9' to 20' water so I moved a little out of the crowd and started working traps shallow to deep just offshore of the golf course with the little lighthouse. The first run I hit a couple on a ledge where it went from 10 - 14 so I spread the line of traps all the way down that ledge and got to work. It took a while but I managed a full bu of the biggest crabs I've caught all year by about 3:00, surprisingly white for this time of year, not paper shell but many of the big ones had a little flex in the shell. I can't complain I guess, I'm pretty sure the average was over 7' today, seriously, I think I had a half bu that was close to 8 and only a few that were under 6. 11' was the ticket today but I think I need to ice down my arm from all the pulling, next time I'll take my chances with the trot line, a few of the commercial boats were workingthe 10 - 14 range but most were in 16 20' on the deeper break.

Get them while you can and go deep, if we don't get a warm spell soon it might come to a close early this year. The highest water temp I saw all day was only 57.

·
Registered
404 Posts
crabbin

You worked the far ledge of that area, there is also a ledge nearer to the narrows ramp and the same "strange : drop offs. My traps have a PVC through them and I can adjust them up to 20 ft. Last year I could still get crabs out of that area up until Thanksgiving. The commercial guys usually leave by 12.........Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope to be out there again this weekend for another "last trip", either the Chester again or the Y, we'll see. Saturday looks great right now...

ps: I have a "revolutionary" new noodle float design I've been meaning to share, I'll try to upload some photos soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts