Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help identifying productive spots North on the Chester River. I'm staying in a vacation home on the Chester River near Cliffs Pt next weekend.

Depending on the rain we're supposed to get we'd like to try for some Stripers (if the rain doesn't wash the Stripers further south down the river toward the bay), but are really fine catching anything. The boat we have is a small jonboat so we're likely only going to head from about as south as the Corsica River mouth up to Deep Pt.

From the NOAA bathymetric map, it looks like Deep Pt would be successful for Stripers off the channel as well as some pockets at the mouth of the Corsica River for perch / bass / who knows??

I'm not looking for any specific secret spots, but if anyone has any advice they'd be willing to share for the area, it would be greatly appreciated and would really bring some smiles on a much needed vacation.

If you haven't fished here in a while I've provided a shot of the bathymetric map:

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
One hint, try topwater plugs or un weighted plastics in any of the marshy areas early in the morning. I've done well around Eastern Neck Island years ago.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We are in that area a lot.For now spend all my time pulling kids skiing or on a tube but my days coming.I was told the oyster beds around Comegys Bight hold fish just about all the time.The beds are clearly marked and are just before you get to Conquest Beach (nice sandy beach great place to spend an afternoon) if heading upriver.Advice I was given was to drift over them with cut bait,peelers etc.The whole area is really nice.Langford Creeks and Cacaway Island are areas we spend time on just about weekly.Good luck fishing wish I had better advice than be out there at sunup and sundown.If you need any advice on where to spend the day with the family on the water that would be my specialty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jig on oyster bars something that shines. Worms or squid on the bottom near 16 for perch catfish etc. if waters calm I have been catching hardheaded further down river, I think area is called copper hill. Near 14. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Jig on oyster bars something that shines. Worms or squid on the bottom near 16 for perch catfish etc. if waters calm I have been catching hardheaded further down river, I think area is called copper hill. Near 14. Good luck.
Oh MY! I lived and fished that area for about 25 years. Live in Venice FL. now. There is a lot of shallow rock piles in the Chester River. If you find them you will catch rockfish. But I think it would be pretty hard to find then in that boat your fishing out of. Good luck!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am also familiar with that area. Tough to find Stripers right now but if I was you I would take the LTT approach. That is to say, throw a bucktail with a grub, a 17 Tony and a Storm Shad off the back and troll slowly along the shorelines until you locate fish. Cliffs Point is a GREAT place to start.

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am also familiar with that area. Tough to find Stripers right now but if I was you I would take the LTT approach. That is to say, throw a bucktail with a grub, a 17 Tony and a Storm Shad off the back and troll slowly along the shorelines until you locate fish. Cliffs Point is a GREAT place to start.

Pat
Pat - Really appreciate the idea/tip! I'm new to the boards, what's "LTT approach" mean? I followed the rest and will definitely check out Cliffs Point.

- - - Updated - - -

Rowboater - I was looking at the oyster bed maps I found and they seem like they're all over the place (but since this is the first time I'll be there, I guess we'll just have to keep an eye out for them). Thanks for the tips!

Thansk dgwelsh! I found an older post on TF with a guy that had home-made flashy lead jigs he was using Mac-Whackers. I planned to try something like those you described. Thanks for the catfish advise too! I've made these homemade jugs (10 of them) at about 14-17 ft I plan to use with cut bait and catfish soap. MD now allows them in non-tidal waters so we'll see how they do (when I get back I'll try to post more about the noodle rigs).

·
Registered
167 Posts
good ramp on the chester, that's a joke.
ramps are;
Chestertown Marina- good but long run to deep point area.
Rolphs wharf- good ramp but also a long run to deep point area
Quaker neck landing- very shallow, really only good on a high tide. roller trailers make it somewhat easier
Cliffs city- similar to Quaker neck landing, very shallow, can also be very rough, hear there is a large rock in the water near end of ramp
Long cove marina- great ramp, longer drive to ramp though, reasonably close to deep point area
shipyard landing- long boat ride that can be kind of tricky if your not really familiar with area and don't have gps.

did you say this weekend? Log canoes should be sailing but sat and sun.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I grew up fishing that area... depending on what you are looking for, there are plenty of fishing opportunities. The Red Nun off of Spainards Pt R-18 ( i think) is a good location for pullage of all types... there is a pretty good drop off there and on an out going tide, fishing the drop, you should have steady action on stripers, perch and catfish... the catfish can be quite large...

Good Luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a really good ramp (no joke) just outside of Rock Hall it is Shipyard Landing.We have also gone out of a bunch other.Quaker Neck isn't too bad we have a 19.5 Sailfish and have no problem.Don't let the gloom and doomers scare you off there are ok ramps to be found.There are also private ramps at marinas that do not require a county permit and are better than many of the county ramps anyway.Would appreciate any reports as far as fishing goes in this area.Fully plan on wetting a line as my son joins the Air Force,my daughter starts college or I sneak out early enough the wife does't realize I am gone.Good luck to anyone who goes and hope to see a report.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Run from Rolph's Wharf to Cliff City about 10 minutes. Only speed restricted zone is right at Rolph's Wharf and you will be out of it in about 100 yards.

Run from RW to the mouth of the Chester (25 miles an hour) about 35 minutes. (These are both educated guesses.)

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I grew up fishing that area... depending on what you are looking for, there are plenty of fishing opportunities. The Red Nun off of Spainards Pt R-18 ( i think) is a good location for pullage of all types... there is a pretty good drop off there and on an out going tide, fishing the drop, you should have steady action on stripers, perch and catfish... the catfish can be quite large...

Good Luck
Thanks!! Exactly the info I was looking for!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts