Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure everyone has heard about the 8 year old girl in western maryland taking the states and her first bear. In my opinion this was a great event promoting "Family Values". However, it seems that other people around the state see it as horrific. I have just become aware that now people are trying to put a minimum age on hunting or "Family Bonding". Keep your eyes and ears out for any crazy legislation and do your best to prevent it from being passed. The article that brought this to my attention is: http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-young-hunters,0,5111277,print.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines[sad]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
I have a 5 year old son that will gladly stand up and tell legislation the values of a responsible youth hunter and the family values it brings..

Just think of why most of are hunting..because of our fathers and G-fathers Family bonding. Jees what is wrong with this world?

Now here is my question....Could an adult be armed on this day or was it a youth hunt for bear? A wounded bear could attack and I would not want my little guy with me then.

As hunters we have the biggest say in what goes on but we Never unite and come together...If they take away youth hunting WE BETTER COME TOGETHER!!!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Not that I agree with but I think PA has always had a 12 year old min age for deer hunting but not for small game, etc. I know some 12-14 year olds that are a heck of alot more responsible than their "adult" parents.

I guess the bulk of the argument comes from some of the publicity that she should have been in school instead of hunting.

What if she is a straight A student, what if she is home schooled, is it OK to take child out of school for a family vacation or to take them out of school a few hours early to go to the beach to beat the bridge traffic on a friday?

I wish all of the "DO GOODERS" would mind their own f___ business and let the family raise the child as long as they are not endangered, neglected, abused, etc.......

·
Registered
99 Posts
My youngest son is 5yrs. old and killed his first dove on opening day of dove season. That is all he talked about for 3 days. he's been shooting a bb gun since he was 3 and a can doesn't stand a chance at 15yrds. He loves hunting and fishing more than any toy he has.

My other son just turned 14 last week and killed his first deer Sat. He's a little behind due to devorce, and limited time with me. He's been going since he was 8yrs. old and is very skilled with scoped rifle's and shotgun's. This was acomplished with lot's of practice.

I believe hunter education courses are good because they get to meet the game warden's on a friendly basis first and learn things dad might have skipped over. As far as age goes, I've seen kids that were mature enough at 6yrs. old and some that were not at 12yrs. old. I think it depends on the kid. I was allowed to hunt supervised at age 6 and unsupervised at age 8. I quail hunted every afternoon after school until I went to college, and wouldn't trade those experience's for the world.

The states want young people to hunt, they are future license buyers. Learning safe and ethical hunting practices not only teaches kid's gun safety it keep's them off the street's and out of trouble. Guns don't kill, it's the person behind the gun that pull's the trigger.

BILL

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hunting age should the decision of the parent and situation. The one thing I do not understand is why a guardian would leave an 8 yr old or a 10 year old in a deer stand alone with a gun. In my opinion anyone below the age of 12 is too young to hunt alone. Again this is an issue of familiy values and good judgement.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you start a young child to start shooting a gun, and target practice you can see how that child is taking to how he handles the firearm and how much he is injoying doing it.You can pick up the way he handles things in a responsable way. Some wont. I think if the child proves to you he can be responsable with that firearm then please take them. Today there is less people taking there children hunting and WE AS A WHOLE should keep this tradition going on as long as we can, or we will lose it. Frank

·
Registered
546 Posts
EASTDUCK

I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ON. EVERY CHILD HAS A DIFFERENT MATURITY LEVEL. MY SIX YEAR OLD CANT WAIT TO GO. LOVES FISHING WITH ME, STARTING TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT SAFETY, CATCH AND RELEASE AND NOT JUST FILLING A FREZZER FULL OF ANY MEAT JUST SO IT CAN SIT THERE ALL YEAR. HE'S OLD ENOUGH TO SCOUT AND LEARN ABOUT DEER AND GEESE ETC. BUT NOT READY FOR GUNS. THATS MY KID. OTHERS MAY COME ALONG QUICKER AND THATS AWESOME, BUT A PARENT NEEDS TO BE RESPONSIBLE AND KNOW THEIR OWN KID. LEAVE IT TO THE PARENTS OR GUARDIANS TO DECIDE WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT, RATHER THAN SOMEONE WHO HASNT EVEN MET THEM.

CHOPTANK -- WE BETTER COME TOGETHER BEFORE THAT HAPPENS. ONCE IT IS GONE, THERE IS NO GETTING IT BACK!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
you cant get a license in PA before your 12yrs old to hunt anything! even older kids cant get a license unless they have attended and passed a hunters safty course.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I stand corrected on PA. I knew there was 12 year requirement just couldn't rememebr what it was.

It's been 13 years since I lived there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
[Q]choptank originally wrote:

As hunters we have the biggest say in what goes on but we Never unite and come together...If they take away youth hunting WE BETTER COME TOGETHER!!!

[/Q]

Choptank,

Actually some of us do. If it were not for my favorite organization of which I have been a member since I was 16, non of us would even be able to own a sling shot by now! Even if there is something about the NRA's past you don't think you like...JOIN! Check it out for yourself.

YES, they will send you correspondence asking for more money for this or that battle. Sometimes a lot of it. That is how they raise more funds to keep up the work. If you don't want to contribute there then just don't. No one will think less of you, and you still count as a member and the magazines are great!

Youth programs have grown a lot also, and guess who writes all the safety course stuff you go to if you want a Cary permit or to take you kid hunting?

My 8-year-old spent yesterday afternoon with me in a roomy pallet stand where we watched a 10" - 12" 6-pointer walk right past us. (I scoped him real good and let him walk. Got a 6 pointer already this year, Friday!)

He (my son) is a little too small yet for the smoke pole, and he is looking forward to general firearms season when he will tote his new 20ga. with me.

He already has decided to help manage the bucks by not shooting any little ones. (I wish more grown ups would do this) He "might" take a doe or a 6-pointer though if he gets a chance.

Take your kids fishing and hunting! Teach them respect for the resource. Teach them safety and respect for others. And join the only organization that has the clout to keep our rights in place.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Scott,

I am a member of NRA and they do alot! But they don't appear to be localized with communtities and local hearings where is my rep.? Dont get me wrong I will be a lifelong memeber but I just wish every hunter would once come together as a whole to stand up for something and Youth Hunting should be foremost!

Man I could not agree more with how you children could use more info from us adults on atleast the idea of shooting does. My father and I discussed this yesterday that we believe the early youth hunts should be doe only anyhow. If the state wants to rid of some does and besides what 16 or younger would not be thrilled with shooting a doe? And it would keep those dads or other figures from shooting that quality buck if seen because these youth hunts are right smack during the rut every year.

Jusy my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Choptank, not a bad idea. For many of them it will be their first or among their first and equally proud. They can always shoot a buck during the early ML hunt.

With todays inlines, how much more complicated is it to hunt with a ML versus a modern rifle or shotgun? NOT MUCH

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was blessed enough this past June to meet someone who has introduced me to the world of hunting and fishing. Prior to meeting him, I didn't have strong feelings 1 way or the other, just for lack of exposure in my childhood and life (my dad was a restaraunt owner - we just cooked it!) But during my relationship with this man I have seen a bond between him and his children unlike any other. In a short time I learned a lot about respect for mother nature and our responsibility to it. My children were also blessed to have some introduction to these hobbies/sports as well, and long to become more involved in the hunting/fishing world. This past weekend my friend's son got a 3 point on youth day. Unfortunately I was not able to see him or talk to him directly, but I have to say that sitting and reading the email about it and looking at the pic on the bowsite, I absolutely teared up. I was overwealmed by feelings of accomplishment, excitement, and pride this child must have, the feelings of pride and love that I know his dad has, and a feeling of respect that I have for their relationship in doing this together. As with anything, teaching responsibility is the key. And to see the bond between parent and child that is forged when this is done together is phenomenal. In a world where so many parents are plopping their kids in front of a tv or video game, it is such a breath of fresh air to see dads and son's preparing for and hunting together repsonsibly and lovingly. So as an ousider looking in, who would love to become an insider looking out, I will continue to read these sites and watch for legislation that I can call or write about to make sure that these parent child relationships are not harmed by those who can't possibly have an understanding of what they are fighting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts