Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the sport. Last summer I bought all my gear including my own tank and a 6,5,4mm suit, head, gloves, etc.. I just got a speargun last week and really want to use it. I am near chincoteague and was wondering about diving some wrecks offshore. I have dove under plenty of boats last summer and this winter to change props etc. but havent made it offshore ever yet. I am padi open water certified.

In the summer I work as a mate on the TOPLESS out of greenbackville va. so the charters keep me real busy that time of year, but be wont be starting until june 1st or so. If anyone has any free space on a dive I would love to go! All my friends are up here are scared of swimming with the sharks so I need a buddy!

How is the vis down at the cbbt this time of year? how deep are you all going there?

Thanks all in advance!

Kyle Krabill
[email protected]
http://www.toplessfishingcharters.com

·
Registered
331 Posts
Kyle,

We're tentatively planning for the CBBT this weekend, and viz should be decent. I've only been spearing there once, and freedivng only at that, but some of the other spearos here can you give you more info in the viz conditions right about now.

By the way, does "Topless" accomodate fly fishing and spearfishing?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
HEY KYLE- SORRY I CANT HELP YA EITHER- I AM A WARM WATER SHOOTER AT THE CLT IN THE SUMMER - WE ARE PLANNING ONIT THIS WEEKEND- MAKO WILL GET WET BUT ITS STILL TOO COLD FOR ME- TOO BAD YA COULDNT COME W/ US SATURDAY- IF YOU WANT TO CONSIDER IT FEEL FREE TO CALL ME - 757 685 4811 JAMIE

·
Registered
805 Posts
Krabill,

I don't know how many dives you done with your new equipment but for the most part the near shore dives in this area are low viz. ( 2' to 5') The water is cold also at this time so a good 5 to 7mm or maybe even two suits is a good idea to have so you can get on a "dry" for your second dive, that's what I do.
The end of the Islands have very very fast moving water with the in or out going tide so stay away from the ends and carry a long safety sausage in your BC just in case, this is no open water dive, at times your boat is less than 40 ft. away and to get to it is a challage on the surface.
Set a long rope (25' +-) with a float or a dive flag at the end and tide to your stearn just in case you miss the boat on your way back with your load.
A short 3 slig gun for this site works just fine, you'll be hunting at close range with low viz. so a fast reload is the key for getting more meat in the cooler and less time playing around with your shaft/line etc.

Dive with another person, stay close and use one gun untill you get more experience!

Good luck and dive safe.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you get all that mako ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh yes, and all joking aside, safety is paramount at the risk of your life. Have fun and enjoy the hunt, but be aware of your surroundings and what's transpiring at all times.

Spearo - are you going to be on the water this Saturday?

Racn - Another buddy of mine from the Spearboard, call sign "Trident", will also go if you have room. He's an experienced freediver and shooter. My buddy Martin may also be there (also an experienced diver and shooter), but I don't know yet for sure. How many does your boat hold, comfortably?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fot the info guys! I am not to certian on my saturday yet, will find out soon. I will be talking to all a lot more in the future!

Topless is mainly tuna trolling, We rarely ever chunk and have never done the fly fishing thing, the capt likes to hear those engines running!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
usually i just take 4 including me fishing- but 6 is an easy number too for a day like saturday cause we aint all dropping lines in the water-if you all are gonna be in the water for the most part diving i will be left all alone on the boat !! its ok tho i got a stereo and lots of flounder boat too !! i am guessing you are military right ? how about your buddys > CBBT is a short trip so 6 wouldnt be too bad anyway- same way for the CLT tower- not to mention the price of gas !! i put 112 bucks in it yesterday to fill it the rest of the way up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Racn,

Cool. I'm ex-Army, got out completely in 2001. One of my buds if from Barbados originally, and is a helicopter pilot who grew up fishing and spearing, and the other might have been in the military at one time. We're a mixed bag :}

We can rotate off and on diving so that if you want one of us on the boat with you for safety and eyes on, we can do that, no problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mako 993,

As of now all looks good for saturday, I'll leave no later than 4:00am to be at the ramp no later than 6:00am, many times the parking is full by this time so early is the key here. If you find the parking lot full there is a bait store about a block before the entrance to the parking (forgot the name) on your right and you can leave the car and trailer there for a 5.00 fee I think it is.

I'm bringing bait and rod gear also, two of my crew will not be diving so we will get them one way or the other!![grin]

I'll post here late friday but right now is ALL go. How far is your trip one way from your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Spearo - I'm not really sure, but where I met Distraction last summer near Newport News, it was three hours, since I live up here in NoVa. Can anyone tell me where I'm going this time? Jamie, Spearo?

I don't have a boat or a trailer, just me, a fellow spearo or two and my car.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It looks like there are more Spearos than boats.

Check to see who's going this saturday besides me and try to get a ride, maybe split gas expences or something.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi Krabill

Im not one to piss on anyone's party but you might consider getting a few more dives (nearshore -low viz & offshore wrecks) under your belt before you go taking a speargun with ya in tidal waters. Not trying to be a wise ass but from what you have said you are relatively new to the sport, and in that position 2 free hands for holding lines/inflating & deflating bc and suit etc is way better than 1.

Sweet ride on the offshore gig btw, love the name of the boat, any funny stories?

H.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Spearo/Racn35,

I'll have to talk to my buds today and see if they want to hit along with me, and I'll let you guys know for sure later tonight. I checked the tidal report for CBBT on NOAA and water temp is a steamy 60 degrees.

A few questions - how much do you think it'd be for boat gas alltogether? What time would we be leaving port? And where is that going to be?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scotsman, you are right on that. The low vis thing is kinda hard to get used to. I think I am going to start off right here in the chinco bay, its about 10ft and I have a friend that wants some "stuff" for his saltwater tank. working under the boats I have sometimes had like 6" vis in the harbors. Its a feeling game at that point. I do have a wreck I can visit right offshore that is 30' deep and rises 7' off the bottom. In the fall you can see it from a boat above the water. That will be one of my first visits, Im am waiting on another friend to get his gear together before we can go. Im not to keen on going under by myself offshore yet (I know your shouldnt do that anyway!) Thanks for the tips all!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
[Q]Mako993 originally wrote:
Spearo/Racn35,

I'll have to talk to my buds today and see if they want to hit along with me, and I'll let you guys know for sure later tonight. I checked the tidal report for CBBT on NOAA and water temp is a steamy 60 degrees.

A few questions - how much do you think it'd be for boat gas alltogether? What time would we be leaving port? And where is that going to be? [/Q]

all any one ever gives me is 20 bucks each chipped in for gas(i know i alwasy get stiffed ! even for 100 mile round trips to coralla or the lite tower - they pay 20 and i pay 100's lol ) - bring your own soda and snacks- the time all depends on you guys i live here and am up by 5 am every day work or play ! i would guess better to leave from my house- that way load the boat and gear and head for lynnhaven, if its too crowded we skip it and go up the street on base at little creek where theres never ever a line- same time out to the cbbt either way. call me if you wanna tonite warren-

·
Registered
331 Posts
See my post to the other thread a few minutes ago, bruh. Let's waive off if it doesn't look good for Saturday. Early next month will probably be better!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
OK WARREN- no matter buddy anytime- ( shhh we were getting spades hook and line mid may last year shhhhh )

·
Registered
331 Posts
Damn, the only hook and line I do anymore is with the fly rod, and I prefer spearing over casting at this point, but whatever works for whenever, man.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
no no no i ment that if they are THERE for hook n line they are THERE to shoot too.........that we dont have to wait till friggen july to go to the tower when the 100 boats a day go there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts